Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Headbolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Default Headbolts

Does anyone know the size socket I will need to remove the headbolts on my 1997 323 with the 1.3L? I need to find my sockets before I fly back so I have some proper tools there.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, Buddy. I don't have a clue.
Is there no where to buy tools in Austria, just in case...?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 AM

Oh there are places, just didnt want to spend money on a tool I had here in my old box from my last job in the States since I fly back on Sunday (3/10/12). From what I have been told by my roommate back there its either a 12mm or 13mm 12point bolt, the closest 12 point I have is a 1/2 which is 12.7mm......... It looks like I will be getting a new socket LOL. Got my good IR Ti Impact packed and going to go to town on the 323 when I get back, new head is sitting at home already waiting for me just need gaskets now Also where is the coil on this engine??? I have not found it yet, is it built into the dizzy? There are only 4 plug wires on it so I guess its built in.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

If only 4 plug wires at the cap, I would guess its a magneto.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

If my guess is correct, you MUST post some pictures of it. That would be cool.

So you are an American living in Austria? I had wondered about that.
What took you there?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 AM

Ok as requested here is a picture of the dizzy. The central plug is just a breather, no wire is hooked up to it.

Attached Thumbnails Headbolts-pict3035.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

The housing doesn't look big enough for either a built-in (on) coil, or a magneto?
I am confused.
Another confusion is the "breather" you mention. Traditional distrubutors want to be sealed from dirt and moisture. I once bought a cap that must have had a hairline crack in it from the factory. I never could see or even find it. It was that small. But when the hunidity was high the car wouldn't start until I took it off, dried it out with a towel and sprayed it down with silicone. I replaced the cap and no more problems.
Another question: Does the distributor require an outside power source? Is there a 12v lead going to it?
A magneto, basically being a high voltage, low current generator and producing its own power as the engine turns it would not require another power source. It might have an auxillary ground wire though most of the grounding would come from the engine head or block since those too are grounded.