Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

general advice: new fuel pump or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Default general advice: new fuel pump or no?

Digging into our 1989 mazda 323 for some maintenance, we found OH so much rust.
Including the fuel tank, which was leaking from a corner and had a visible rust opening in the top, as well.
*sigh*

We're hugely overbudget. This was supposed to be an $800 overhaul and now it's hitting $1500, with broken springs, a rusted-through trailing arm, a sensor or two, the fuel tank... it adds up, and there's a lot that really wasn't apparent just looking around with a flashlight, before we started tearing things apart.

Do you recommend, since we're replacing the tank anyway and therefore removing the fuel pump, replacing the fuel pump too?

The vehicle has only 64,000 miles, so the pump is original manufacture, and low mileage, but, 23 years of age. It still works fine at the present. In your experience though, is it wise to spend the $80 to get a new aftermarket pump as insurance, have you seen pumps fail from age alone? Or, do they only fail from miles (worn out) and debris sucked through the pump, and the aftermarket might even be worse than the OE?

I'd feel like an idiot if I don't replace it, and I have to drop the tank again next year if the pump gives up the ghost.
At the same time, we're running out of funds, and if I don't need to spend the $80, you haven't seen low-mileage fuel pumps fail from age in your experience, then, I won't.

Thanks for the advice!
-Bernard

Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 AM

Since your already at 80% of the work needed to change the pump I would just change it, nothing like getting your car back together with a full tank of fuel just to have the pump die in 3 days. Also mileage doesn't mean much on a pump its the hours its been running and its how its been used or abused, if the tank has been run low (less than 1/8th) consistently then the pump can overheat due to not being submerged in enough gasoline for cooling and wear out faster. If you have rust on the outside of the tank there is a good chance the inside is rusting out too and the pump may have ingested some of that if the sock on the pickup tube is gone. I know how much part prices can hurt when your on a budget but some things are worth going the extra mile for, I dont have to replace my lower balljoints on my 323 but since I have to change my CV boots I am doing the balljoints now, same amount of work for both, why not do it now and not next year.