Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Fuel problems I think (please Help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Default Fuel problems I think (please Help)

I have a 86 323 5 speed with fuel injection. And lately starting has become a real big problem. When i try to start it for the first time in the day it jus wont catch it seems that the fuel isnt getting there, then it starts trying to catch and when it does finally catch it won't idle and i have to hold the gas on, even though my foot is steady the rpms are not. After about 5 minutes it will then idle ok and go just fine, unless i shut it off too soon then i have an even harder time gettting it started again. once it runs for about half hour i can start and stop it anytime and it works fine. At first i thought there might be water in the system so i added an additive. that didnt work so now i have gotten a fuel filter to see if that will help. I am hoping but would still like some advice as this is the first car i have had with fuel injection. I would also like to know how to raise the idle on this car too.. Oh and does anyone know where to find a manual for this year as i have looked for one by haynes and they don't have any.

Thanks for any help..

Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Default RE: Fuel problems I think (please Help)

Well I had a smillirlar problem but mine is a 92 323 so I am not sure on the diffrence. But I just changed my fule filter and it was just fine after that.

I was say thats what it sounds like. That or some kind of clog some where.

I will see if I can find a manual for your year.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:10 PM

Replacing the fuel filter never hurts. The way you describe the no start though does not sound so much like fuel pressure problem. Fuel demand at crank is at its lowest and you say it runs fine after warmed up and even driving. Maybe have fuel draining back into tank due to a faulty pump check valve but it should still run ok once you get it started and have fuel pressure and volume up to the injectors.
Have you considered a water thermosensor that may be sending a fully hot signal even though engine is cold? If you have an ohmeter to check it would be a good start point. The sensor is on the intake down by your injectors I think. Should have a two pin connector with one wire being blue w/ red striip and other blue w/ yellow stripe. Resistance should be around 3000 ohm cold and 300 when hot.

The idle speed screw is on the throttle body on the opposite side from where the throttle cable hooks up. Screws out to raise idle, in to lower. Should be 850 +/- 50 for manual trans and 1000 +/- 50 with ATX in neutral.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the replys. Today (friday) I replaced the fuel filter, and it started and had to work out the air bubbles so was a bit rough, I then went out to do some errands and the first stop i left it running cuase it was only to drop a letter but the second stop was longer so i shut it off. So about 10 min's later i come out to have the same problem trying to start. But once i started and went around town and stopped the next time all was good when i started again. I will be able to tell tomorrow if it is better or not. But i suspect it won't be anybetter. When i took the old filter off i drained it and blew threw it and it seems just fine. there was no resistance at all. So i am gona keep it as a spare.

I will get my meter out and try what you said babyhuey, if i can find it lol. Most of the cars i have worked on are old ones, and i always have a manual so i can see what i need to look for. But now i feel like a blind person working on it..lolol.

Thanks again.