Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Engine running but now burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Default Engine running but now burning oil

Engine running but now burning oil whats happened i changed heads over and valves from old head.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Engine running but now burning oil

Given that you've changed the heads, and are now burning oil, I'd guess that something in there is leaking oil into the cylinders...

Have you tried pulling spark plugs to see if it's all cylinders or just one?

Have you tried compression testing your cylinders?

Frankly I'd start there. There are a lot of possibilities, but without knowing more than you've given us we really can't guess any better than you can.

Assuming it wasn't burning oil before the head swap I'd have to guess they were related. If it wasn't even running back then then it could be anything at all.

Sorry that this isn't more helpful.

Z.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 AM

For some reason its not burning oil now i dont know why. But now it has trouble starting it will turn slowly and then suddenly stop then go again i have 2 push start to get going and then when running it goes fine. And the battery leads start to smoke when turning over. Could tha be the starter motor on its way out?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 AM

Battery leads starting to smoke... That means that you're pulling more power through those leads than they were designed for...

That would imply that your starter is having trouble turning your engine...

Can you try disconnecting the starter from the engine and then see if turning the key causes the starter to turn over...

If the leads still get hot your starter is failing... If not then have your starter tested. It might be failing just not have issues under load.

If your starter is good and it tests good it would imply that it's harder to turn your engine than it should be...

Which makes me wonder what is stuck in your engine after the head swap? Did you use too much gasket sealer perhaps?

Z.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 AM

No i used exactly the same gasket, the gasket was perfectly fine. What happened is i pulled a spark plug out and the helicoil came out so i had another mazda spare and swapped head and valves because there was bent valves in the new head i was putting on so i had to swap all of them over.It was turning it fine and now its just getting dead and im sure there is nothing stuck in there. I havent got it registered yet and im wondering if its worth it.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM

It's possible that your starter is failing... I would suggest having it tested. Starters usually aren't too expensive.

The leads smoking definitely implies that the starter is having trouble turning the engine. That's likely to be because the starter is failing, or because the engine is harder to turn than it should be.

Z.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 AM

Engine running perfect now, smoking tho