Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

electronic ignition module

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Default electronic ignition module

my son just inherited a 1986 mazda 323 and the person
he got it from told him the electronic ignition module
was bad in it....it will crank but it will not start, but i'm
his dad helping him with it and I'm not sure where the
"electronic ignition module" is located. I was told it
was located under the distributor cap, but I don't
want to remove the wrong part. and the local parts
store acted like a bunch of $%^& and said they wern't
sure where it was but didin't have the part on hand
to look at it, but they could order it at around $300.00
so thanx in advance for any advice..jason

Old 09-17-2005, 04:31 AM
Default RE: electronic ignition module

Sounds like the module they are trying to sell you is a new distributor for $300!! To make sure the no start is due to loss of spark try this, have either the person who sold you car or better still parts people at store hold on to the coil wire while you crank it over. If they can hold onto the wire for more than 6 seconds I would believe them, If not then you obviously have spark to the plugs and do not need a new module. Kidding. Lets make sure that the problem is loss of ignition spark before buying anything. First off take one of the spark plug wires off of the plug and stick a screwdriver (small one please ) into the wire end. lay the screwdriver near a metal part of the engine (1/4 inch of distance between screwdriver flank and engine) and have someone then start cranking the engine over. Should see a spark arcing between the screwdriver and engine. If not move a little closer ( 1/8 inch ) and give another time with cranking. If still no arcing then have no spark to plugs and can go from there. If you do get a good blue spark at anytime then there may be something else going on. The last one I would believe is the one try to get rid of the car for ??$ and a story of how simple it is to fix.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Default RE: electronic ignition module

The only advice I would add is to check spark in the same manner from the coil to the distributor. You may have spark from the coil, but a bad rotor or cap, seen that too. I also have a few extra parts from my 87 323, and even 1 or 2 used distributors.