Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

626 overdrive light flashing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Default 626 overdrive light flashing?

any ideas on what this could be? my engine was driving fine and then it started getting confused on when to shift in lower gears(making RPM surge then shifting with a big jerk)and would decelerate quickly from 4th to 3rd when foot taken off of gas. did this for about 20 min then my overdrive light starts blinking at me. did that for about5 min then it quit. left car outside for 20 minutes and the problem ceased. the tranny is new(10-15000 mi on it). i am wondering what would cause the car to jerk so bad(overdrive module?) and is there any way to discover what happened?
This is the 2nd time in 2 1/2 months this car has done this confused shifting but the blinking overdrive light is completely new to me.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Default RE: 626 overdrive light flashing?

My 323 does this alot and I have yet to find out what the problem is,Baby huey has given me some very useful advice in this thread: https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_36475/tm.htm

I'm guessing a similar method could be used to investigate your car's problem, but I could be wrong.

Anyway good luck!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 PM

have you had your tranny looked at though? i took mine to the dealership on saturday and nt only did tey say my tranny was shot but my cat convertor, tranny hose,etc. i am finding it hard to believe that. i replaced my cat 5 months ago. the tranny is "supposed" to be brand new but mazda said it wasnt. im gonna go get a second opinion but something is not right, either way...i want to know which end is/has really screwed me(1s who said it was a new tranny or 1s who r trying to get me to buy a new tranny)but its frustrating.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:02 PM

The hold light flashing is just an indication that the Transmission computer has detected a fault and a code should be stored. If dealership did not erase the code(s) already then get the code # retrieved with OBDII scanner at Autozone or other parts store. That will be a start anyway.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Can you tell me if you have ever found out how to fix your problem.
Because I just bought my daughter a 1995 626 and it is doing the very same thing. I took it to a local shop and they put a new mass air flow sensor on it and the car ran great for 7 hours. Just long enough for her to test in it and get her liscence and drive for a little while.

Very Sad little Girl.

Any help needed.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM

i own a 98 626 and I have experienced the same light flashing. i noticed it alot after i've driven it for long periods of time. what i've read so far on this is that the engine or something is too fuel rich or something like that. i may have read that here so you can do a search on it.

if you haven't already, take it to autozone and find out what codes come up on the computer. i've had a computer read right after my lights went flashing and found no real special code other than what I already knew, which was that i have an issue with my cat converter.

the other time i experienced those lights flashing was right before my car decided to shut its self off while i was on the freeway going 70mph. it was related to the sensors to my transmission that needed to be replaced.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 AM

I have a 95 626, the guy i bought mine from, had a new transmission put in. About 6 months afterwards the o/d light started flashing. I asked a freind of mine at a garage, he said to disconnect the battery ,sometimes the computer gets a "glitch", this will reset the computer. It worked and shifts fine now.Maybe this will help.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Has anyone narrowed down the cause of this problem? Bought a 2000 626 earlier this year with a rebuilt tranny, and just today the OD light starts flashing.

Going to check the tranny fluid level 1st, and then scan for codes, and ill try the battery disconnect as suggested by NGA, other than those I dont really know what else to go over

Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 AM

I just installed a tranny in my 98 626 and when I first started it, I got the flashing O/D light. I knew the tranny was good, so I looked for something I forgot. On the top of the tranny, under the airbox, is a 10 pin connector. The connection on the tranny tends to slip inside causing it to lose contact. Road bumps could cause this to happen periodically. I would pull the connection, clean the pinswith some contact cleaner, reset the computer and see what happens. There is a "C" shaped wire that is supposed to hold the plug on, so remove it before you start yanking on the harness. Use a sharp pick to keep the connection from sliding into the transmission. This plug controls the shift solenoids.
Good Luck,
Ken