Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

2000 626 CD tray removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Default 2000 626 CD tray removal

HI all,
I've been trying on and off for days to get at the wiring for the cigarette lighter in the dash of my 2000 626. I think the best chance I have of getting my hands on the wires is to remove the CD sized tray just below the radio, but I can't figure out how to get it out.
I've tried getting the radio out first, but I was only able to release the radio retainer clips on the left side. The right side clips seem to be borked and won't release.
I've tried removing the front side panel on the driver's side of the console and standing on my head with a flashlight to try to see what may be holding the tray in but without success. Did get a sore spot on top of my head though.
Can anybody describe to me, in small words suitable for an idiot, how to release whatever is holding that tray in, or better yet, post a picture or two?
I would be most appreciative.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Never mind!

In case anybody wants to know how to do it:

Gently pry up the chrome ring around the shift lever.
Look down in the slot thus exposed and you can see to release the clips holding the horizontal piece of plastic around the shift lever.
Pop those clips with a screwdriver and pull up on the rear of that piece of plastic to slide two little lever-like protrusions out from under the edge of the vertical trim piece.
Pull this piece to the rear and lift it out over the shifter.
Now you should see two screws attaching the bottom of the vertical trim piece to the console frame. The vertical trim piece is the piece that surrounds the radio and has the cigarette lighter attached through it.
Remove those two screws and pull the bottom of the vertical trim away a bit, you will find that the top of that piece is held in by two clip thingees on either side. These should pop out with gentle pressure.
You may have to insert your key into the ignition and put the shift lever in 1st gear to remove this piece.
You now should have access to the back of the lighter to make your repairs or whatever you're there for.
I never did figure out how to get the tray out.

Last edited by frustrated1; 06-01-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add more explanation.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Default GPS want power up with cigarette lighter

IN my Mazda 626 1994 2ltr. Auto, GPS unit want power up but when I press the lighter in it will heat it up. Anybody help me out with this problem. Thanks.