Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1996 Mazda 626 ES

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Default 1996 Mazda 626 ES

Hi everyone.
This morning I purchased a 1996 Mazda 626 ES from a used car dealership. I got a good deal on the car (so Im told) but the check engine light is blinking. I asked the dealer and she said it was a "mazda ghost light" and that "no code would fix it". She also said that if the check engine light stopped blinking that "there was a problem".
Anyone have any info on this?
Also the timing is way off on the car. I expected there to be a few problems considering what I paid for it. Im guessing it's never really been well maintained. Has anyone else had issues with the timing?
Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Default RE: 1996 Mazda 626 ES

There are two stages of a CEL (Check Engine Light).

First: one that stays on steady means there is a problem the computer in the car sees and needs addressing soon as possible, but not a threat.

Second: One that blinks constant...It means that there is a problem that needs to be addressed as of RIGHT NOW. It also means that the problem it sees is also capable of causing catalytic converter damage due to the engine running poorly. The catalytic converters are part of your exhaust system and very expensive.

There is no such thing as a "ghost code". Sounds like they were feeding you a line of bull. It sounds like someone desperate to sell a car that knows nothing about them or how they work. These explanations go for every make and model of vehicle that are 1996 and newer. You need to get the code read SOON. This can be done at a place like Autozone for free. Get the code and we can be of more specific assistance.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:58 PM

thank you so much for the info.
I was afraid of this. I will run it up to autozone monday morning and post more here.
Thanks again

Old 03-25-2006, 11:03 PM

WOW. It is an absolute wonder what a salesman will tell you in order to close the deal. A 'Mazda ghost light', now that is a new one. Bkey is right about getting it checked as soon as possible. A flashing CEL means that you have a potentially catalyst damaging missfire. This meaning that one or more cylinders are missfiring at least every other time it is supposed to fire. Perhaps that is why you feel that the timing is way off. No power on accel due to a completely dead cylinder. A missfire that bad can damage a cat converter fairly quickly so would not waste time getting the code checked.
Faulty spark plug wires are extremely common on the older 626 with either the 4 cyl or V6. An ES should have the V6 unless it is a "ghost emblem". A set of new plugs, NGK are the best, should accompany the new wires which NGK also makes the best.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:57 PM

Thanks!
Im going to have a mechanic look at it asap, until then I wont be driving it. Hopefully I can get someone tomorrow or monday to handle it.
A million thanks!!!!

Old 03-26-2006, 03:20 AM

Not a problem texasgal626. The used car lot that you bought from should be able to help out with the repair cost if you raise a little hell in the process. They should not of sold you a car that was in that condition in the first place.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM

Just got back from autozone to get the codes checked.

4 codes came back, first one showed that the cylinder was missfiring. 2nd code had something to do with "fuel metering" and the lady said that could be a fuel sensor.

Now the last 2 codes were codes that shows the car is currently failing the emissions tests.

Ok here's the thing. The car was purchased yesterday and dealer said that she had the car inspected (plus the manditory emissions testing) done 3/24, the day before our purchase.
The lady at autozone said that it appeared that they were able to either erase the codes temporarily or they unhooked the battery and then rehooked it and it passed because the CEL didn't come right back on.

Good thing is that the first 2 codes are apparently not tooooo costly. As far as the emission codes go, I was told to contact DPS and report the dealership. They will take action from there.

I am truely amazed at what lengths these dealerships will go to in order to push a sale. From the "ghost light" to the inspection sticker that they had to cheat to get, I am completely disappointed. Not with the car but with the entire experience.

I am hoping that once it is all repaired I can really enjoy the 626.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Im sure I'll be around with more questions

Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 PM

First thing is to document all codes carefully, ex. P0XXX for your records and if you decide to report to DPS. They will want to know specifics if you persue this...just as if you were gonna prepare for court.

I was unaware that Travis county had emissions testing. I live in Bandera County just NW of Bexar county and all there is is a visual check and making sure the gas cap holds pressure. I also had one more question, was the car purchased (without naming names) from a new car dealer lot or a small independent dealer? The reason I ask is due to the inspection sticker can be done in-house vs. taking it to an inspection station. If done in-house, the rules are usually overlooked by fellow employees. Although just as illegal, it is common practice. I used to be a Tx state inspector for an auto dealer and know how it goes.

I would definitely take babyhuey's advice with the plug wires and plugs to start with plus catch up on all other maintenance so that way you start back at zero.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:57 PM

I will go back up to autozone tomorrow and write down the codes, I think the first one was P0304 or something to that effect. It was the missfiring cylinder.
Regardless, I will get the exact codes tomorrow
The car was purchased from a small independent dealer. Im sure she had it inspected on site, there is actually no doubt in my mind.
The plan as of now is to fix the cylinder issue. My friend (who is not a mechanic so who knows about his theories) says that the cylinder could be the root of the problem. He said that doesn't cost much to fix and at least that way, that part will be done and we can go from there.

Grrrr, what a bad start! Thanks for all the help and advice! I don't know where I'd be without yall