Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1994 626 broken stabilizer bar control link / other questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Default 1994 626 broken stabilizer bar control link / other questions

Hi - I have a 94 626ES that has been sitting outside my apartment complex for about 2 years. Last time I drove it everything was ok. Got the battery charged today, and started to back it up and heard some serious front end "grinding". It is very loud and really sounds awful. I took the left front tire off and see that the stabilizer link is broken. It looks like this is an easy fix, but I'm not positive if that is the problem from the sound that I am getting... I don't see anything else that could be the cause of it though. With this broken, would I be getting a really bad clunking/grinding noise coming from the left front? It sounds like things are binding up really bad.

It looks like the part is only about $29 bucks from the local store. I think I can do it, but I'd rather have someone else do it for me if it is relatively an inexpensive labor repair.

Like I said, the car has been sitting since I bought my '02 Milly a few years ago. Unfortunately my apartment complex wants it moved on a regular basis. I've been meaning to get it running earlier, but such is life... If I do take it to a shop, will I be ok driving it about a mile or so? It really does sound horrific and I don't want to have it towed (on the way) if something is really wrong with it...

Anyways, IF this is indeed my problem, what kind of cost should I be looking at for labor at a small/independent shop? I don't really know anyone around here (Grand Rapids, MI), and I don't want to put hardly any money into it...

Unfornately, also when I backed it up, the exhaust broke at the middle connector too when I drove it for a minute (fell to the ground and started dragging, but didn't completely bust...) Hoping they can patch that up a little and put a new clamp on without too much money. I definitely don't want to put several hundred into exhaust right now...I was able get some wire on that and tie it up, but of course it is pretty loud now.

Anyways, any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Need to get it moving with as little money as possible ASAP (on top of the problems I mentioned, of course I haven't registered the plates on it in two years so Michigan requires BOTH years as a penalty for not registering...awesome..another $200 bucks!) Luckily for now I can get a 30 day temporary for $20 bucks...oh, plus insurance Thanks in advance for the help.