Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1988 626 I AM SO SCREWED

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Default 1988 626 I AM SO SCREWED

NEW starter alternator and now $200 ignition switch and I still have the starter not disengaging.THis means the wire to the solenoid is being energized somewhere else in the harness.The only hope now is to find which wire goes to the solenoid cut it and splice a new wire in place of it.(can't do a whole new harness).
Does anyone know what wire out of the switch is the one that goes to the solenoid on the starter?

Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Default RE: 1988 626 I AM SO SCREWED

Here is a diagram that I have hope it helps. It starts as BLK-YEL out of the switch, and ends up as BLK-RED at the starter. It does not look like a good idea to go this route as the computer will get "confused" and fuel pump will not activate on start.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/4E31F931FCD34D97A551F1F89B4A4957.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 PM

I'm not going to rewire it differently,just cut the wire at the connector AFTER the switch wire connector (to avoid) the hot always wire) and run the new wire to the starter?That should allow everyhing to work the way it should,NO?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 AM

Before you try that you might consider removing the wire at the starter from the ignition switch to get it out of the circuit and then run a temporary wire from ignition terminal to the starter out of the drivers door and then under car to starter to make sure all will work ok first. You may not have a starter interupt solenoid but this would at least rule that out and make sure all will work as anticipated before going to all of the trouble. Am assuming that the starter will go ahead and disengage if the wire is pulled from the starter now??

Old 01-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Baby Huey,yes if I pull the small wire off the starter all is well.Thats why I figure if I cut that wire at the connector coming TO the connector FROM the ignition switch and put a new wire in to the solenoid it should work just like stock?
What is the starter lockout thing your talking about?Somebody also mentioned a starter imobilizer?hAve no idea what that is?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Baby Huey,yes if I pull the small wire off the starter all is well.Thats why I figure if I cut that wire at the connector coming TO the connector FROM the ignition switch and put a new wire in to the solenoid it should work just like stock?
What is the starter lockout thing your talking about?Somebody also mentioned a starter imobilizer?hAve no idea what that is?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Old 01-08-2006, 12:08 AM

You said that you installed a $200 ignition switch yes? What part of the ignition switch was replaced? There is the mechanical portion which is the part that you insert the key into and is all metal and bolted to the steering column. There is also the electrical portion that is attached to the back of the mechanical part with a single screw. This is the part that has all of the wires running out of it. Which part did you replace or did you replace both?? The only reason being hesitant to install a new wire is that if the old one is shorted to a power supply, there should be some concern as to why and is there any other damage that may have occured. If a wire in a harness somewhere shorted is usually because it got too hot and melted the insulation off and shorted to some other wire. If that occured then is what other wires were damaged and may be causing a problem if not now but in the near future. Lets take a short time to look at the system and see exactly what the problem is and why it malfuctioned before trying to cut out parts of it in hopes that if will make it all better. I think you will be happier with the repair in the long run.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:16 AM

Just wondering if this car has or has had an aftermarket alarm? Especially with remote start??

Old 01-09-2006, 08:59 PM

No alarm whole switch and tumbler purchased
Had an electrician guy come and look at the car.He said had to be a relay.Couldn't find anything really in the manuals.He listened to each one (5) on the firewall.Took each one out and each time same problem.Then he disconnected the black thing on the firewall labelled pressure sensor (numbers on it are F-201 small #s 8601 to the right and slightly lower,then E1T11574? Problem went away,starter now shuts off after starting.Anyone have any idea what this switch does? Can't find anything in the manuals about it?

Quick Reply: 1988 626 I AM SO SCREWED