Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

*SIGH*

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Default *SIGH*

I wish my car had cruse controle. I will be driving up to Santa Fe New Mexico and I would like to know if there are somethings I should do that would be a good idea to do.

I mean I have done this dirve befor and the only problem I had befor was one bad tire.

I mean in terms of greasing the joins and other things that deal with the stearing what should I do? I mean I have rack in pinion stearing. I have no power stearing (da&& car didn't come with it). So since my car is pretty old I would like to know if it would be a good idea to use some kind of grease and get some of those areas that could make things easier.

I have just changed my oil, fule filter, and air filter so I am good to go in that area. I have cleaned off my battier terminals exc. I have checked for leaks and found none. I have gotten my allinment done too, I just need to get my tires rotated.

So yeah basically I want to know where I need put some grease so I won't have to worry. I mean what kind do I use? Wheel bearing grease, white grease? I mean I am kind of fuzzy on this area. I am pretty sure I am suspose to have some kind of all point lube on my car so it stays lubed. I just would like to know what I need to use and where to apply it.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Default RE: *SIGH*

There is no place to grease these cars, it is a sealed system. It is not like older american cars with grease fittings. If you try to grease anything, it will not accomplish anything, it will only attract dirt to stick. Sounds like you have done most of the basic maintenance, but have you replaced the drive and timing belts? The timing belt is very important to know if it has been recently replaced. Make sure all 4 CV boots are good with no cracks. Make sure all 4 tires are in good shape and properly inflated. Have the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor been replaced? Make sure there is fresh coolant in the radiator, and no leaks.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 PM

I have replaced the two belts. But I am not sure about the timeing belt? Is that that one that is covered up? I only have an SOHC so I don't know that much on that.

CV boots?

I have replaced the spark plugs like about 2 or 3 months ago and the Wires are in good condition. I have a coil pack so I don't know how to check that but as far as I know its in good working order.

I have no leaks but I do need to put some fresh coolant in. How much will I need in there? I am kind of fuzzy on how much my ratiator holds. I need to know how much I will need. I am trying to keep cost down.

Thanks for going over this with me I really like the addvice. I try to do every thing but I am human and things do slip my mind.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 PM

The timing belt is behind the black plastic cover behind the regular belts. It connects the crankshaft and camshaft and operates the valve train. Should normally be changed every 60K miles. If it is old it can break and the engine will not run.

Your CV boots are on the end of each of your drive axles and protect the joints. there are 4. They keep the grease in and water and dirt out. They look like an accordian and are rubber. Make sure there are no cracks or tears and the rubber is soft.

Coolant should be mixed 50/50. Drain as much as you can then fill with 50% water and 50% coolant. You will only need one gallon of coolant. The easiest way is to get an empty gallon container (clean milk container for example) and fill half way with coolant then fill the rest of the way with water. Then fill the coolant jug up with water and you have two gallons of 50/50 mix ready to go. Two gallons of this mix is plenty to do the job.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:24 AM

COOL!

Alright for people who know there stuff!

Thanks Bkey71. Ok about the timing belt It has been replaced since I got it (I finally got what your where talkinga bout) How much does one of those go for? I am guessing this is one of those jobs that I can't do my self.

Yeah I though thats what the CV boots where, I just wanted to be right. They look fine as far as I can tell no cracks or are they hard. Also if I needed to get those fixed how much does that run for? I mean can I change this my self? I doubt I could but if it just takes a while to do and is really not that hard then I would do it.

I just bought some coolant tonight. Prestone extended life. Is two gallons of that mix enought to fill up the ratiator? I know you said that two gallons should do the just but I am just making sure.

I am planing on doing a flush and want to take all of the old coolant out and just have fresh stuff in.

My spark plug wires where looking a little worn so I got some new ones (14 bucks at auto zone). I got some new breaks shoes but can you blieve that they didn't have any wheel cylinders?! I was so mad, so I hope the ones I have one there can work.

If I hadn't areadly said this befor then I will. Thank you for your help Bkey71 man you have been a life saver. I mean I always get on here to see what you recomend. I know you don't know every thing but I really vaule your advise. I just wanted to say thanks.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:17 PM

The timing belt and CV boots should best be left to an experienced tech. It can end up costing more money in the long run trying to do it yourself if you have never done them.

The parts cost of a timing belt and CV boots are not that much, but if you don't know anything about them it can cause engine of driveshaft damage.

Two gallons of coolant is enough. the cooling system holds about one and a half gallons if totallty dry. top off with more water if necessary. Be careful to get the air pockets out when changing coolant or the thermostst might not open and it will overheat. Make sure the heater is on after refilling to ensure the heater core is full.

I checked with my local Autozone and they have wheel cyls in stock, part #34014 and $14.99 each. It is probably a good idea to change them out anyways due to age.

You're welcome for the help! [sm=smiley20.gif]