Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

PERFORMANCE PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Default RE: PERFORMANCE PARTS

ORIGINAL: Tracker

the best thing for you to do is to get bolt-on parts so before you go the dealership change out the aftermarket parts and put the oem ones back on or you could do what im thinking about doin for my turbo and that is when i do emissions test or go the dealership is to unhook the turbo so it wont work but leave it in and say its for show. oh and btw addin a exhaust and cai will add alot of pep to your car, just tonight i managed to keep bumper to bumper with a 2.3l 6 and i still wasent giving it all (i got a 2.0 just incase you didnt know) plus i **** load of weight (5 people and a trunk full of heavy crap)
ok tracker, several things, first, you can't "unhook" a turbo so it doesn't work, you'd have to permanenely open the wastegate actuator and that'd just make your exhaust comw out of the engine bay directly and the emissions guys will know that your car isn't making exhaust. also it'd be loud as hell. 2 if the factory opens the hood, they'll know there's a turbo there right away. They'll see the intercooler piping, the turbo headers, the turbocharger itself and they'd hear the wastegate you'd have to keep open. That won't work.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 AM

ah... busted! i don't know if i would like the idea of having a bolt on turbo. sure it is convenient, but you also are prone to more leaks rather than a weld-on. even our bolt-on headers that alot of aftermarket companies have done (some have tried and went under in business) are bolt on. i dunno how reliable these bolt-ons are but they can't be as bad as what i hear.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 87 turbo II

ok tracker, several things, first, you can't "unhook" a turbo so it doesn't work, you'd have to permanenely open the wastegate actuator and that'd just make your exhaust comw out of the engine bay directly and the emissions guys will know that your car isn't making exhaust. also it'd be loud as hell. 2 if the factory opens the hood, they'll know there's a turbo there right away. They'll see the intercooler piping, the turbo headers, the turbocharger itself and they'd hear the wastegate you'd have to keep open. That won't work.
When i said "unhook" i ment just having the turbo just sit there and look pretty all of the old stuff will be put back together, i never was going to hide in the first place if i was gonna do that i might as well take the whole thing out.

the_gray_mazda6

i don't know if i would like the idea of having a bolt on turbo. sure it is convenient, but you also are prone to more leaks rather than a weld-on. even our bolt-on headers that alot of aftermarket companies have done (some have tried and went under in business) are bolt on. i dunno how reliable these bolt-ons are but they can't be as bad as what i hear.
The only reason why i perfer a bolt on is because its a lot easier to take a part vs. welded. Also ive been told by alot of tuners (the real ones who actually have degree in the field, not some 19yr old witha jack and screwdriver) that weilded parts tend to rust alot quicker and more leaks, the only advantage is welded pieces give it a more streamline look

Old 06-13-2006, 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Tracker

When i said "unhook" i ment just having the turbo just sit there and look pretty all of the old stuff will be put back together, i never was going to hide in the first place if i was gonna do that i might as well take the whole thing out.
How? If you put the old stuff beck together, th eturbo would be removed anyway. A turbo is part of the exhaust setup, you can just replace piping because one would be going through the charger itself, i.e. it would have to be removed. The only way you can have the turbo still in your engine bay and run OEM specs would be to open the wastegate all the way. Tracker I just think you don't know enough about turbocharging systems enough.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:21 AM

all i can say is this i know how turbocharges work atleast more than i did before (im never going to say i know EVERYTHING about a turbo, it would be like me saying i can build a rotary car better than Mazda), but as for fitting and placement i have some idea. Ive been told a few ways to still pass emissions keep your warrenty and still have it hooked up, all i know is some guy in a white supra passes emissions everytime he goes but he removed something i forgot what its was but still has the turbo hooked up (no its not a stock turbo). Ill get that story striaght once i find him. Dont laugh because i found out how a turbo works from howstuffworks.com

Old 06-13-2006, 04:29 AM

i'm interested to hear once you found out...

Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 AM

yeah I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. Nothing bad would happen if you're rong or anything, but I'm still giving you a chance.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 PM

its gonna be hard to get into contact with him,the only way i couldget a hold of him is through a friend who is only off on Sundays. The first time i met the guy with the Supra was on the road when i was being funny and set up a joke race with him at the light....i was in my 02 KIA sportage...i spanked the doors off that...no i shouldnt even finish that line even if i am joking, you guys know damn well he won but to make it funny ill say this...if we were on a highway, he could have (no seriously) drove circles around me, like get in front of me get on the other side...fall back and pass me again on the other side.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 PM

I am in the same boat as Siskande. What about this Unichip is it a warranty killer ? This is such a perfect car for me if it only went faster!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:11 AM

whats a rough estimate of hp if i adde a catback exaust system, new headers and a cold ar intake on a mazda 3 2.3 ? i already have the intake im just starting to do a few engine mods