Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Difficulty and Time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Default Difficulty and Time?

Hey JUSt got my CAI intake in finally after some issues...anyway decided to save some money and learn a little bit at the same time. One of my friends is in school for auto mechanics and he is going to help put it in. Is this really that simple from what I have heard it seams like people don't have too much trouble doing it them selves. Are there any certain tools necessary for the job obveously basics but anything out of the norm? And roughly how much time do you think it will take and what are some things I should watch out for when I install it? Its from AEM so its not suppose to cause any CELs to blow. Being basically the same as the one from Mazdaspeed. Thanks all

Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Difficulty and Time?

Best advice: Read the instructions and look at any pictures carefully.
When I did mine, I was alsoon an exploratory "mission" and took parts of the car apart thatyou should not have to, so my time estimate may be a little off for you. Only basic tools and carefuldisassembly (feel your way before brutalizing your way) should be necessary.
I estimate 1-2 hrs, and only one bleeding knuckle(<<< a requirement for any mod/repair) for a novice.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 PM

That sounds about right, just wanted some clearification. Thanks, I don't mind swaping some blood for some good old engine greese and grime. I will proboble clean alot of stuff while I am in there as wel but I would imagine that the 2.3L mada 6 enginr is quite a bit simpler that the mazdaspeed 3's. I will post in a day or so when the jobs done to tell you all how it went, results etc.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

I have an NA 3. The MS3 was not made when I bought mine in '04. Same engine as yours... no turbo.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I have an NA 3. The MS3 was not made when I bought mine in '04. Same engine as yours... no turbo.
Hard as it might be, you could always trade in the V1 for a MS3.

Or better yet, sell it to me and buy a MS3 with that money! That way it gets a good home and you get a turbo 3.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 AM

intake is simple, but just don't throw out or break the MAF sensor. that is a mistake that a lot of novices make. i have a lot of mechanical experience, so i can't give you an exact time frame, but it should take no more than 2 hours. all that i can say is start from the intake manifold and work your way back to the air box and don't throw anything out until the car is running well.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Thanks wsoape281, I really don't plan on throwing ANYTHING out anyway just incase I were to ever need to switch back or something.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: VB
ORIGINAL: virgin1
Hard as it might be, you could always trade in the V1 for a MS3.
Or better yet, sell it to me and buy a MS3 with that money! That way it gets a good home and you get a turbo 3.
Well, it's like this... you don't know/haven't met my wife, have you? 'Just a guess. Add to that the end of the model year and who knows whether Mazda will even bring back the MS for '09 and I'd say I'm SOL. And no, I would not want a used one.
It seems, and I don't know why this is (<< sarcasm,) but MS3 driver's tend to beat the sh*t out of them. Who knows what I'd end up with, but it would have to be an'08.5 GT in CPWM.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
VB

CPWM?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

That should have bee CWPM, which of course equals Crystal White Pearl Mica.And frankly, I wouldn't care if it had pearl and mica in the pant at all.I don't see that much difference between it and the monochromed Rally White my car is... except that itis liableto be harder for a bodyshop to match should repairs be required.

Quick Reply: Difficulty and Time?