General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strating/charging problem

Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Default strating/charging problem

I am having alot of trouble with my 1994 Mx-6. The car started by having trouble idling at a consistant speed. It would drop and rise for moments. Then the car had trouble accelerating when the gas was depressed. I took it in to be checked and the ignition wires were replaced. The problem persited. I had the Distributer replaced and the acceleration problem was gone but the idle problem remained. The dealer said they didn't find an idle problem, but it was still there when I picked the car up. Then today, the car wouldn't start! I had it jumped and it started. When the car was started, the beeping noise you here when your keys are in the ignition but door is open was going non stop and continued until the car was shut off. I checked all doors and had my seatbelt on and I was driving. When it was turned off it would not start again. Sounds like a charging problem? Do you think all these problems are related or do you know what this might be? I have already spent a fortune and want this problem fixed! any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Default RE: strating/charging problem

more often than not i have noticed that repair shops and dealers always look to the most expensive problems first. my experience, start cheap and work your way up. I would first check each and every fuse throughout the car (even under the hood) to locate the door buzzer problem, second I would check to make sure that all grounds on the engine are in place and are thoroughly cleaned, third if those havent solved your problems, start troubleshooting the wiring harness. My reccomendation buy a factory repair manual, and i know that they are a more pricey than what you find at a auto parts store but overall much much much more thorough and start testing all the wiring. The testing can usually be done with a cheap amp or ohm meter that you buy at a auto or parts house, or a test light for minor things. Sounds a little fishy, but if all the above fails, have the transmission checked for the idle problem you are talking about, I had a friend whom had a dodge one time with a similar sounding problem at it was tranny related. I hope this helps and keep us posted on what you find out for sure.

~Ant

Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the info, I bought a Hayes guide and have been reading tonight about the systems and the electrical. It is quite complex and I am new to car knowlage. I found the testing info in the book. I would like test the electrical myself but with the limited knowlage I have it will take me alot of time. I work alot and do not have much time to work on this stuff. The wife is taking it in tomorrow while I am at work. I will let you know what happens. If the problem persists I will have to go carless for a while!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Does sound like some of it could be related. Older 4cyl and v6 had problems with ignition wires and some distributors. distributor was usually a no start concern. Beeper not turning off could be a broken door switch that is allowing a constant ground even with doors closed. They can be removed and checked easily with a phillips screwdriver. See if your dome light is in the 'door' position and if light will not turn off with all doors closed, good chance there is a problem with door switches. As for idle surge and battery problems, they could be related. If the alternator is overworking to charge a bad battery or is even bad internally it can have a direct affect on idle. The engine computer looks at engine loads such as a/c, power steering, headlights, and heater fan to determine if it needs to adjust rpm to keep it at a steady level. If your alternator suddenly outputs a high amount of amperage without the engine computer knowing about it , it cannot compensate for the expected rpm change. In short, many national parts stores offer free battery and alternator testing. Check out a few and see what they say. Get a couple of opinions though as the whole point of offering the free inspect is in hopes of selling you a part.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 AM

I have a 95 Mazda 626 and am experiencing identical problems. This is the second time since taking possession of the vehicle in 96 - I just replaced the battery without any response. I can jump the vehicle without problem but won't restart after shutting down - drove it around tonight and the interior/exterior lights flickered on/off during the drive. I do all the work on my vehicles and will keep you posted with what works for me ... maybe it will work for you as well