General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Something is Buckin wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Default Something is Buckin wrong!

I have an 03 Mpv and when i am driving it starts bucking back and forth real bad. Any suggestions i would really appreciate.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Default RE: Something is Buckin wrong!

Bucking as in like missfiring? By far the most common problem with a bucking or engine miss on the 02 and 03 MPV was a ruptured PCV hose that creates a very large vacuum leak. The hose has been under a Recall 2204H for quite some time. Do you know if this recall has been done or not? You can most often hear a loud hissing noise from under the hood when hose has ruptured as well.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 AM

I don't know if it is mis firing , but when ever i gas it it jerks or bucks very badly back and forth. Also when i am at a stop light you can feel it like wants to to buck even though you are not goin any where. I thought it might be the fuel filter.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:54 PM

I don't think your fuel filter would have anything to do with it.

babyhuey is a Mazda mechanic (if I got the right guy!), I'd listen to what he is telling you.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM

If not due to the PCV hose being ruptured you might also give a look at the intake air hose between the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the throttle body. Have also had one of them torn open in such a way that when you go to accelerate the engine torques slightly and opens up a tear in that hose but at an idle with the engine at rest the tear closes back up. Will include a picture with the hose circled below. Check it carefully between the little convolutions in the hose as the tear can be hidden down inside of one.
First pic came out not very clear so here is another. You also do not have a replaceable fuel filter. It is part of the fuel pump inside of the tank and should not have any problems with it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/878DE7EE7D334159805F9B34B7F2CE9B.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Thanks so much huey , i will check and see if that is the problem becuse it feel like it is getting worse. Also would this problem trip any codes because my engine light is not on.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:18 AM

first ,,check if there are any recall's outstanding,possible pcv hose recall.next get it scanned,possible cylinder misfire.once that is determined then check spark for the cylinder that is showing the misfire,check plug wire for that cylinder also,you may want to put some dieelectric grease inside the plug wire boot,,good luck....

Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 AM

Would not necessarily set a code unless it was a missfire or some other failure that the engine computer monitors. A pending code can be stored that would not turn light on unless problem occured on a second drive cycle.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:15 AM

if it is missfiring because of a bad plug wire or the plug itself which you are saying thats what it could be then i should just do tune up? Also what does" A pending code can be stored that would not turn light on unless problem occured on a second drive cycle mean? I wanna thank you guys for all your help and support in advance. I also forgot to add that when i am at a red light for instance it sometimes feels like someone taps me from behind.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:44 AM

would not rely on a tune up to fix as the interval for replacing spark plugs alone is at 100k. ( not that it is a good recommendation) No spark plug wires as you have a coil on plug system that plants an individual ignition coil on top of each spark plug so that is out.
A pending code is a pre check engine light event that has occured but would require a second failure to turn the light on. An example: You are driving the van and and few missfires are detected by your engine computer. The event is documented within the computer but light is not turned on. That is a pending code. The next morning you start the van and drive and a similar missfire occurs. The engine computer then documents this a second time and the Check Engine Light is turned on and code is stored and CEL comes on in the dash. P0300 is random missfire and P0301-P0306 are specific engine cylinder codes and are then stored in memory. I am very much tending towards the vacuum leak from the PCV hose as this will take much longer to turn the CEL on.

Quick Reply: Something is Buckin wrong!