General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sirius radio hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Default sirius radio hardwire

I put a sirius radio in my wifes mazda protege. there is only one power plug in this car and i am looking to hardwire the sirius to the car so i have an open power plug. is there a way you do this without having to buy extra equipment? I'll be installing another power plug in the back of the middle console but still want that front one opened up, you can't sit a cup or drink in it when the sirius is plugged in. thanks for the help

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM

so i looked into it more and i'll post the steps just to be helpful for anyone else in the future.

if you got the adapter that plugs in this will need stripped down, take the plastic nut covering the fuse off and take the fuse out. now just use a screw driver and pry this thing open, you will find a circuit board with the normal black and black/white wire that you see come out.

you will than see a black and red wire that goes up to the fuse and spot that plugs into the car. snip the spring off and the other 2 metal pieces off the ground wire.

what i did was put it in a plastic box with holes drilled on all the sides bottom and top to allow air flow so the circuit doesn't get too hot. i used a plastic box that held electrical ends in it, fit right in there and works good.

now just run the wires through the holes. the hole for the end that plugs into the adapter will need to be 1/2 big to fit the big end through. what i did was put the box on the far left side of the dashboard, the drivers side. I ran the ground wire to a bolt that holds part of the dash on, its a 12mm. it seems to be well grounded. i ran the hot wire from the box to the fuse box, plugged it on the radio fuse.

once you do that just plug it all up and enjoy it, if there is any questions just get at me and i can walk ya through it but it is pretty easy, i spent about half an hour all together.