General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda MPV AC

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Default Mazda MPV AC

Hello. I have a Mazda MPV 2004. I noticed that the AC does not cool and blows warm air when I'm in idle or stopped at a traffic light. As soon as I start driving it starts to cool again. When the car is not cooling I notice that the Fan on the right side is not spinning. When it does cool the fan is spinning.

Last night I checked all of the fuses in the engine compartment and under the drivers side. I swapped the fuses in the engine compartment for the AC system and the cooling fans. Didn't work. I made sure that the numbers on the top matched. I also removed and reinserted all of the fuses. None are blown.

I had my wife sitting inside the Van with the AC on and at full blast. The AC Fan was not spinning. I misted the front grill with my garden hose and she said the the AC was blowing much colder when I was doing this. What does this mean?

I also used a brush and water to remove the bugs from the front radiator and AC condenser.

Here is the link to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrWTgDzeTg

I posted a short 2 minute video in Youtube to show you what the AC Fan is doing on idle. I noticed that the compressor turns on and shuts off with the AC Fan. It does this constantly. When the compressor turns on the AC Fan in the front spins and then turns off immediately with the compressor. I can hear the compressor clicking when this happens. It's like the Fan won't stay on. I just replaced the FCM last week.

What should I consider replacing or checking next?

I noticed the Fan on the left side Never spins when the compressor engages. Only the one on the right side will spin.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 PM

When was the last time you had your A/C Recharged? It seems after watching your video clip the A/C looks as though it is operating correctly . Try Recharging the A/C and re test the vehicle . Also ask for a leak detector to be put into the system so in case there are any leaks they can be detected using U.V Light.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Default AC Fan

I added a can of freon last week. Pressure gauge is reading 33 psi and temperature is 78 degrees outside.

Today I drove the MPV on the freeway for about 45 minutes nonstop and it was pretty warm out today around 80. The AC was blowing cold the entire time that I was on the freeway. When I got off the freeway and came to a traffic light. It started to blow warm air after idling for 1-2 minutes.

Do you think the problem is most likely the Fan assembly with motors?

Both of my fans do Not cycle with the compressor. I have only seen the fan on the left running about 2 times for a couple of seconds. It never turns on with the compressor.

If you had to guess on what the issue is. What would you replace?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM

If the fan does Not kick in with the compressor i would firstly check and make sure the fan relay is operating and if it is then make sure you are getting a feed to the fan Also make sure the fan is getting a good earth too. If you are getting a feed to the fan with the compressor operating then it could be the Fan.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Default Bad Fan motor on Passenger side

The Fan on the left (passenger side) isn't doing anything while the compressor is on. It never spins. Today I was able to finally jump the Fans to the battery. First I connected the Fan on the right side and it spun really fast. The Fan on the left didn't do anything. I'm guessing the motor is dead.

Here is a link to the video doing the Fan test with car battery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc_tAtsKIPU

Should I just replace the whole Fan assembly?

Where can I get a good deal on a Fan assembly?

I also noticed something really weird today. The Fan on the right side (drivers side) will turn on and off like in the first video I posted but if I mist the front grill with a garden hose it will spin faster and the fan won't turn off. Is that normal?