General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda 2 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Default Mazda 2 Starting Problems

Hello everyone.

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a problem when starting my Mazda 2. It produced a number of clicks before starting up. Eventually the car wouldn't start one day when I was at work so after speaking to the breakdown mechanic, he said that it was the alternator causing the problem as there was not enough charge going to the battery. I changed the alternator which fixed the issue temporarily but noticed that after a few days, the car still wouldn't start. I bought a new battery and again, the car ran smoothly for a couple of days but now I'm having problems again.

When I turn the ignition, there are a number of clicks heard for around 4-5 seconds.
The headlights dim occasionally when driving and also dim when using the electric windows.

Ideas anyone?

Ross

Old 10-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Check for current draw, which could be draining the battery.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:33 AM
Default Jeff Jackson

Originally Posted by RossG
Hello everyone.

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a problem when starting my Mazda 2. It produced a number of clicks before starting up. Eventually the car wouldn't start one day when I was at work so after speaking to the breakdown mechanic, he said that it was the alternator causing the problem as there was not enough charge going to the battery. I changed the alternator which fixed the issue temporarily but noticed that after a few days, the car still wouldn't start. I bought a new battery and again, the car ran smoothly for a couple of days but now I'm having problems again.

When I turn the ignition, there are a number of clicks heard for around 4-5 seconds.
The headlights dim occasionally when driving and also dim when using the electric windows.

Ideas anyone?

Ross
Got same problem, did you get it sorted

Old 04-05-2021, 06:11 AM

Hi - I had a similar problem. When trying to start the car there were clicks coming from the starter motor. After several days, the car refused to start, making just one clicking noise. The rest of the electrics then just died. After a while the electrics came on again. I tried to start it again, but just one click and the rest of electrics just died again. I replaced the starter relay, but that didn't fix it. I was convinced it was the starter solenoid, but I decided to connect a jumper cable from the battery negative to another point on the car body. The car started! This pointed to a bad earth from the battery to the car body. I removed the battery and located the point where the negative cable attached to the body. I unscrewed the rusty connector, cleaned it up and used emery on the body to ensure good contact. Connected it all up and problem sorted!
I hope that helps others
All the best.