General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

marker lights not coming on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Default marker lights not coming on?

I've already tries your search, but I need some help here. My daughter's 97 626 LX working well with one exception, no marker lights. We have checked all driver's comp. & under hood fuses. We have head lights, turn signals and flashers. Relays, switches? HELP!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Default RE: marker lights not coming on?

Are the dash lights not working either rainman447? If they are also not working then double check the 15Amp TAIL fuse in the underhood fuse box. This would be most common problem. Should be a diagram of the fuses on underside of fuse/relay box. If that fuse is ok then will want to check the TNS relay which is also under the hood behind the right headlight area.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the response babyhuey, yes, we have dash lights and we've checked all fuses several times. It must be relay? No we don't have a schematic or even a manual for that matter. I do know the group of three relays you're refferring to behind the right headlight. Which one is it? I'm assumming that this is a dealer item? Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 PM

Well if the dash illumination lights work (The ones that light up gauges so you can see them at night), the the TAIL fuse and TNS relay have to be operating normally. Do all of the exterior marker lights (front, rear, license plate, etc) all not work or just some? There are four rear taillights, two rear side marker lights, two front parking lights, and two front side marker lights, as well as two license plate bulbs.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Woops! After double checking with my daughter, the gauge cluster lights are NOT working either. Also made sure that the tail fuse is not blown. I guess this may be good news? We can now verify a relay? Thanks babyhuey.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Three daughters at home and a son in Afganastan, why couldn't it be the other way around! : rainman447

Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Ha, Ha, I hear and understand that rainman.And here I thought having 6 mini dachshunds was a challenge.[sm=badidea.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]
No dash illumination is a very good thing. Takes you away from a wiring problem somewhere to a bad relay or switch. The TNS relay that controls power supply to the dash and parking lights is where you will want to start. That little cluster of three relays behind the right headlight contains both the headlight relay and the TNS relay. Try just swapping the TNS relay with the headlight relay and see if you now have marker and dash lights again. You might also have someone turn the light switch to first postion and feel/listen for the sound of TNS relay clicking. Both relays are four wire units. Wires to TNS relay will be Lightgreen, Orange, and two of the wires will be White with Blue stripe. The headlight relay will have wire colors White, White with Red stripe, and two will be Solid Red. If swapping the relay with known good one does not make a difference and/or you do not hear the click noise when marker lights only are turned on then looking at a faulty headlight switch. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Finally;I see thelight! Swapped headlight relay with TNS relay and no change, found light switch at salvage yard and walah! Thanks babyhuey! Now all you citizens may see my teenage daughter coming, thats a good thing.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:42 AM

I'll be watching for the oncoming lights rainman!! Thanks for the warning.[sm=exactly.gif]