General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hi Guys, new here, please help! =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Default Hi Guys, new here, please help! =)

Okay, so here is the story
Im new to the website, my name is Nancy, my boyfriend bought a 96' Mazda 626 as a beater car for the Winter, because he didn't want to drive the Mugen S.I in the snow. I was driving in the rain the other day, and to avoid an oncoming truck that was halfway in my lane, i panicked so i slammed on my breaks (no abs) and the car slid into the curb. Damages are from what he told me is that I broke the control arms on front pass. side, the oil pan is leaking or whatnot, and the rear right tire is popped. I don't have much knowledge about Mazda's. How much do you think it will be to have it fixed. Am i looking at a lot of money? or Its not anything major I should worry about. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Nancy =)

Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

WOW!! Interesting first post, Nancy.
First, and I don't mean to offend, cars have brakes, not breaks. Breaks are those 15min things you get @ work to drink coffee or socialize with coworkers. Sorry, it's a pet-peeve of mine, especially when who I'm talking to claims to be a car guy and doesn't know the difference. You don't fall into that category, however, so no offense intended.
Second, if the oil pan is leaking, did all the oil run out before the car was stopped and is the engine any good now? If the engine is gone and it's a beater, you might just consider replacing the car.
Third, how much work are you and your boyfriend willing to invest in the repairs? That will have a huge affect on how much they will cost.
Fourth, since the front suspension in that car is a McPherson strut type, you probably bent the strut, strut housing and/or tower as well as the lower control arm.

How are the local junkyards, used parts places in your area? Are they liable to have what is needed to fix this car? You could save a lot going that way, especially if it's the old style "pull it yourself" junkyard. Even a new tire and wheel, mounted, balanced and ready to go might be available?
These cars are pretty easy to work on. As far as I know an '96 626 should not require any special tools for this work.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

WOW!! Interesting first post, Nancy.
First, and I don't mean to offend, cars have brakes, not breaks. Breaks are those 15min things you get @ work to drink coffee or socialize with coworkers. Sorry, it's a pet-peeve of mine, especially when who I'm talking to claims to be a car guy and doesn't know the difference. You don't fall into that category, however, so no offense intended.
Second, if the oil pan is leaking, did all the oil run out before the car was stopped and is the engine any good now? If the engine is gone and it's a beater, you might just consider replacing the car.
Third, how much work are you and your boyfriend willing to invest in the repairs? That will have a huge affect on how much they will cost.
Fourth, since the front suspension in that car is a McPherson strut type, you probably bent the strut, strut housing and/or tower as well as the lower control arm.

How are the local junkyards, used parts places in your area? Are they liable to have what is needed to fix this car? You could save a lot going that way, especially if it's the old style "pull it yourself" junkyard. Even a new tire and wheel, mounted, balanced and ready to go might be available?
These cars are pretty easy to work on. As far as I know an '96 626 should not require any special tools for this work.

Thanks for your reply. You know what I was trying to say when I said "breaks" lol, I guess I was just typing to fast to realize the typo, my mistake. On another note, he only paid $1000 dollars for the car, and since its a beater, he was not planning to put much money into it. He has an $800 car payment, so if it is going to cost a lot, we will prob just sell it for half of what we got it for. As for junkyards, we do have local junkyards, not sure what they have, because I've never personally been to one, but I'll be sure to tell him when he comes home tonight to look into that. I'll be sure to bring it up to him, thanks for your input.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM

anybody?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 PM

IF you only have $1000.00 in the car, then I'd say sell it for salvage. It's not likely worth it to try to fix it.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 PM

from the post you wrote , I say the salvage yard or ...... someone looking for '96 mazda 626 parts seems to be the next step......but a 1996 626 ??????

Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. My boyfriends shop took care of everything. They ordered a new lower control arm, we have to buy new wheels, and the car has to get an alignment.

& to the last person who replied, yes a 1996 mazda 626, its a beater car; not our daily. lol

Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Cool! Glad you got the prob solved.
Sorry we didn't seem to help in your decision making though.

Hey yeah, what about the oil leaking form the pan????

Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Good luck to you Nancy!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by bmehotrod
Good luck to you Nancy!!!
Car is already back on the road. Thanks to those who replied. =)

Quick Reply: Hi Guys, new here, please help! =)