General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help: ? suspension for 04 mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Question Help: ? suspension for 04 mazda 3

Took my sons car in for "struts" which I was told it needed. New mechanic said doesn't need struts..but rear shocks, rear wheel bearing and front disc brakes.

Picked up car and told to get wheel alignment. Went for that....told service car made a loud humming noise...like I was running snow tires. He looked at the wheel which had the bearing replaced..and it was tilted inward.

Took it back to mechanic who did the work...he took it to the wheel alignment place (they know each other) and next thing I got a call that the K-suspension was "bent" and it needed to be pulled out? He took it to another place where it had to be pulled 3"...and I'm still waiting.

Has anyone ever heard of this? The car was with him for a day getting the work done...no one noticed the wheel was bent in? I didn't have a problem with it before.

Just want to know if I'm being hosed! Thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM

sounds like someone hit something. bent control arms or k members is hard to do without noticing. a shop will let the wheels hang down to check play in parts. bearings, tie rods, bushings. sometimes things get overlooked. do wheel bearings fail on newer low mileage cars? yes, sometimes they are just manufacturing defects.