General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

heater/blower motor runs only after car is warmed up suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 AM
Question heater/blower motor runs only after car is warmed up suggestions?

Hi
heater/blower motor runs only after the car is warmed up any suggestions?

Basically, the blower motor does not start until car warm-ups (takes 5 - 10 minutes when outside is around 0 celsius ) and after the car/engine warm-up, it works absolutely normal. I can turn it off and start again and it will work instantly but as soon it cools down I need warm up the engine, it used to work instantly even when outside was -20 celsius. I have replaced the blower motor resistor (100$) but it did not help. The issue still persists.
Does anyone be able to pinpoint the issue?
I would really really appreciate some help with it!!!!
The car has climate control A/C.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Have u checked the heater hoses plugged ?
or coolant level

Old 01-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ali-bumpmazda
or coolant level
Have not done it yet but will do later today. But just to clarify, the heat comes through the vent almost right away, it just not blowing. And I tried on change automatic A/C to manual and adjust the blower speed manually - no result. But my dashboard displays does reflect mine chose. After 10 minutes of engine warm up, everything is back to normal.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ali-bumpmazda
or coolant level
everything seems OK.

Just to clarify, the issue is not the heat. The issue is the blower motor does not start until the engine is warmed up which is abnormal behavior.
PS. newer cars with a push button start may not let to start the blow motor without engine due to design but older cars (mine 9 years old) should allow to turn the key half way and have radio and other electric stuff work (including blow motor).

Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 AM

It looks like my next bet is the blower motor relay (I tried to heat the relay box with a hair blower and it helps blower to start almost instantly).

Can anyone help me locate the blower motor relay?
I did find some info in the manual but it is very confusing and has no information on the relays location.
In particular, I need to replace motor blower relay for Mazda CX7 (most likely it is the same for Mazda CX9 and Mazda 6).
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails heater/blower motor runs only after car is warmed up suggestions?-mazda-cx-7-fuse-relay-box-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Hi, for anyone experiencing the same issue - it was fixed with appropriate relay replacement - you do not have to get original, I got mine from the hardware store for 5 bucks. Just make sure the pins have the same pattern and it rated 12v (99% relays works the same way so see diagram on the original one and check on the new one).