General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard starting-Mazda 3i

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Default Hard starting-Mazda 3i

I just purchased a brand new 2007 Mazda 3i. At about 1,200 it started to not start right away when i turn it on. It cranks for longer then it should and finally it will start. I took it to the shop and they said they either couldnt get it to do it or they weren't sure of the problem. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Also, this doesn't happen every time i start it. But usually at least once a day and only when the car has been sitting for a period of time.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Default RE: Hard starting-Mazda 3i

How long does it crank over before it starts up hope2515. If it is longer than 5 seconds would placed a fair wager that the check valve in your fuel pump is leaking. When this happens the fuel pressure drops off as well as the fuel in the lines up to the engine drains back into the tank and takes a good 5-10 seconds for volume and pressure to build up and get fuel of the right pressure up to the injectors. If the engine does this on a semi-regular basis or crank time is similar when this does happen and you become aware of it fairly quick. Say it takes 8 seconds for the engine to start up when the problem is happening and it usually just fires right up. If you are fairly sure it is in the long crank time mode anyway, then just cycle the key from off to on a couple of times and see if the engine does not then just start normally. Turning the key from off to on gets the fuel pump running for a second and cycling a couple of time will build the pressure back up to normall so that it will start right up. Just a way to check for this intermittent and very common problem. Thought Mazda would have this problem fixed by now.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Default RE: Hard starting-Mazda 3i

How long does it crank over before it starts up hope2515. If it is longer than 5 seconds would placed a fair wager that the check valve in your fuel pump is leaking. When this happens the fuel pressure drops off as well as the fuel in the lines up to the engine drains back into the tank and takes a good 5-10 seconds for volume and pressure to build up and get fuel of the right pressure up to the injectors. If the engine does this on a semi-regular basis or crank time is similar when this does happen and you become aware of it fairly quick. Say it takes 8 seconds for the engine to start up when the problem is happening and it usually just fires right up. If you are fairly sure it is in the long crank time mode anyway, then just cycle the key from off to on a couple of times and see if the engine does not then just start normally. Turning the key from off to on gets the fuel pump running for a second and cycling a couple of time will build the pressure back up to normall so that it will start right up. Just a way to check for this intermittent and very common problem. Thought Mazda would have this problem fixed by now.