General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas Overfill

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Default Gas Overfill

I have a curious problem with my brand new Madza. I was pumping my gas at the Shell couple hour ago, with the gas nozzle on the click when all of the suddenly, the gas overflow. At first, I didn't not hear any click sound. So I went to inform the problem the gas clerk. They said it's wasn't the pump fault. My question is, is it my sensor not working or is it the gas pump not functional?

Your help/advice is greatly appreciated!

-Ben

Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a defective nozzle to me.
I had that happen w/another car I owned and the station wouldn't own up to it being their equipment either.
Try a different pump next time. And try to avoid overfilling at all times. (Bad for the fuel evap system.)

Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 AM
t2t

I have a co-worker at work that has overfilled his tank a couple of times on his Mitsubishi Diamante. Ironically, both times, it has triggered a check engine light. When this happens, he contacts me and asks me to bring in my code reader so he can clear the code out.

Though, in his case, I suspect it might not be a defective nozzle, but rather, he's trying to squeeze that last bit of gas into the tube of the vehicle. I so hate when people do that at the pumps. You're there casually pumping your gas and then there's some tool down the line going "clink, clink, clink" as they keep pressing the lever to squeeze that last bit of fuel in. The pumps all sense this activity and I personally can feel each click at my pump handle as this nut job continues to do the no-no with their fill-up.