General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine hydrolock

Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Default engine hydrolock

I have been told that the rotary engine has hydrolocked.
First can a rotary engine actually hydrolock and how do you get rid of the hydrolock?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Not sure but there is coolant passing through the housing so i guess if the engine has a crack inside the housing or a sealing band has perrished it could be possible. The only thing that bothers me is that you say the engine has locked up ? If this is the case the engine will need to be overhauled.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 PM

see the other forum entry on this issue
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/sho...386#post115386

Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Ok I NOW understand that you are referring to a hard start fault and that your engine is flooded ?. OK can see the fuse box under the hood? its located at the front , remove the cover and inside the cover you will see a map of the locations of all the fuses you will find the Fuel pump (yellow 20 amp fuse) at the top left of the fuse box. Removing this will stop the fuel pump . I have a lot of issues here in the U.K with Rx8 hard to start . Remove the fuse jump in to the vehicle and press the Gas pedal all the way down to the floor now crank the engine for 30 seconds and then stop for 2 mins repeat 3 times and then re fit the fuse the vehicle should start.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Actually ' Hydrolock' is when an engine LOCKS up due to fluid being compressed inside a cylinder. If your engine has locked up then it needs to be investigated / Overhaul.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Not sure if you figured out the problem but a freind of mine has an rx8 and they don't like to be started and ran for less than a couple minutes and turned off, then you most likely will get a hard start situation and flood it. We pulled that fuse and pedal to the metal then crank for a while. Put fuse back in, lift driver side with jack, remove wheel to access spark plugs and pull one out at a time and clean all the fuel off of them. Put wheel back on "of course" let vehicle sit for about 20 min. You might wanna have a freind hook up some booster cables so you don't kill the battery and crank it over, when it sounds like it wants to start, pump the gas and then it will chug and sound like crap for a bit and lots of smoke. make sure to keep pumpin the gas and you'll know when it is cleared out when your engine runs smooth. Of course if the engine won't crank or sounds like it's binded up there is some nasty damage going on there. I know if you put the "L" plugs where the "T" plugs are supposed to go you can damage the engine. Good luck man..

Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Sorry I thought this was posted in 2001, oops..