General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DPF Service Indicator Resetting?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jazz6
can you tell us what the outcome was
Hey jazz6, I've been meaning to update since.
The next day it got worse, I asked a "car enthusiast" buddy at work to help me put it right again so we followed the instructions and succeeded in cleaning the dpf but it just left me with more flashing lights on the dashboard!!! !

The most worrying one was the engine management light along with the glow light so I ended up going straight to my local dealer which I was obviously trying to avoid in the first place.
They ran a diagnostics which basically told them my PCM needed replacing but they would contact Mazda for a fix so I left the car with them and thankfully the next day a new software download solved the problem which cost me over 130 euros!!!

I've been looking into a DPF removal since which will cost me 600 euros here in Ireland which sounded a bit steep though the bloke said the ecu remap is not as straightforward in my mazda as it is in other makes... any opinions welcome here???

I've also been considering either an engine remap or tuning box to give me an extra 30-40bhp and up to 85NM but after this experience I'm not too confident of a happy outcome???
If I'd had the remap done before this episode would the software download wipe out my remap or if I had the tuning box fitted would my dpf clog up more often???

I had 6 years of heartache with my last car (a Renault) which is why I bought Japanese this time (the only good looking Japanese car btw) so was upset to have problems within the first year of ownership!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Smile mazda 5 dpf light

Hi, Guys first time here and my dpf light is flashing on my Mazda 5 which has been doing so for the past year when it was sue for a service. i did the service myself and so couldn't reset the light and refused to pay Mazda dealer £42 to do it. I have seen the link Tips and Tricks for MAZDA 6 (GH) 2.0D MZR-CD (RF-Turbo) 2007 - 09. - www.cdn.dk but this is a different layout to my mazda 5 and wondered if anyone has been successful doing it on a mazda 5 and which pin they put the wire in.
Any help would be great thanks
Mazda 5 2007 2.0 diesel sport

Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Default Dpf service indicator

Hi all

for all those who are not budding mechanics
halfords service centres can re-set the dpf light, and they let me know if and when a forced re-generation was required for only £25.00. Thats half the price my local mazda stealer wanted.

Cheers
canary1

Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Cool Mazda 5

hi there,

has anyone managed this on a mazda 5 diesel if so which pin do you put the wire in as its a different layout to the mazda 6.
Might try halfords in the end thanks for that better than the mazda stealer

Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Hey Guys, just joined the forum which great.

Just wanted to point out that my local Halfords service centre in Hull, East Yorkshire cannot reset the dpf light. I was looking at them doing a service on my Mazda 6 diesel (2005/2007) and asked them when serviced (in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions) would they be re-setting the service (dpf light). I also asked them if they would be doing a dpf regeneration, injector reset and oil dilution reset and they said no as they didn't have the equipment to do it. If this is the case then how can independents claim they can service your car in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations when they can't or don't do all the work. Could be that this may vary between Halfords centres. Found an independent mobile guy in my town who will reset the ECU so service light won't flash up when I change the oil for £20. He would also reset the others as well but not do dpf regeneration. He also knew his stuff about Low SAPS oil where Halfords didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Scary.

My car is needing an oil change as oil is about 1mm off the fatal X mark. I thought Evan Halshaw would have serviced the car when I bought it in February but it appears they did not as the car had been serviced 6,000 miles before after looking at the service history and now at 800 miles overdue it has started missing slightly at about 1250/1500rpm. Is it possible that Mazda have programmed the ECU for the car to start playing up when service is overdue. That's scary too isn't it knowing that you are being forced to take it to the main agent to put it right. Ok I know my car is overdue but thought it wasn't due for another 5,000 miles and didn't realise that Evans Halshaw hadn't serviced the car when I bought it. Obviously dealers don't do this now. Up to date the car hasn't missed a beat but had I known the possible problems of Mazda's dpf system before I bought car I may have bought something else and won't be buying another diesel car until such time the dpf system is properly designed. My thoughts are the dpf systems were designed by a chemist and not an engineer. To solve one problem has created another but the ensuing problem is that us the motorist are having to foot the bill. Diesel going into the sump is asking for total destruction and shortened life of any engine. However I still love my Mazda 6. Here is a run down of recent oil change charges in my home town.

Hafords - Didn't seem to understand the dpf system and resets associated with Mazdas. Not sure if other model diesels are the same. Their cost for a major service was actually more than Nunns Mazda.

Japtech - Excellent knowledge of the Mazda diesel and informed me about the resets required at oil change which I wasn't aware of. Very helpful and would trust them with my car. Cost for oil change using Shell Low SAPS oil and engine resets - £129.99. You don't have to use Dexelia for my model according to the handbook. It applies to petrol models only.

Marshalls Honda - This is the Honda dealer but also Mazda service and repair agents. Knew their stuff about oil. Told me they only put Dexelia in Mazdas which was a good start. Quite helpful at first and quoted me £140 for an oil change. Didn't tell me about resets required until I pointed it out to them. Engine resets an extra £80. Told them they were having a laugh. My car will not be going here.

Nunns Mazda - This dealership is 35 miles from my home town but for £220 offered a full service including all resets, filters, dpf regeneration and brake fluid change. Seems a lot more reasonable than the afore mentioned and would definitely send my car here. Only thing is I can do all these myself or could do if the hints and tips work for my model.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Apart from Comonurs has anyone else had a problem with resetting the dpf light on the Mazda 6 diesel 2005-2007 model. Going to have a go at this I think as immediate oil change is required. Is the fuse box the one in the engine compartment next to the battery.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by smartguy69
Apart from Comonurs has anyone else had a problem with resetting the dpf light on the Mazda 6 diesel 2005-2007 model. Going to have a go at this I think as immediate oil change is required. Is the fuse box the one in the engine compartment next to the battery.
HI,

Yes it the connector that has to be grounded is within the fuse box next to the battery.

I've reset my Mazda 3 times now without any issues other than getting the amount of times you have to operate the accelerator pedal (x10) as it differed from all the other stuff on the net, hence why I started this thread.

I have even performed the reset before the DPF light started to flash, I heard a relay operate which I assume was the reset as it hasn't flashed yet.

I also bought a OBDII reader from eBay for £10 which may be a good idea, as this will confirm any defects linked to your DPF other than the service light. The service light is not logged on via the ECU as its not a fault. Frustratingly you can reset it by doing a full ECU reset but it comes back after about five seconds!

I always use the Mazda Dexelia oil and any servicing kits bought from the cheapest place, even eBay if available. I have also purchased a K&N air filter to replace the Mazda original, which give a lifetime's use and also improves performance.

Best of luck!

Carl

Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Default Mazda 6 2009 MZR-CD 2.2D

Hi, did somebody test this method on 2009 mazda 6 2.2 D?

Tips and Tricks for MAZDA 6 (GH) 2.0D MZR-CD (RF-Turbo) 2007 - 09. - www.cdn.dk

Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Default 2011 Mazda 6 DPF light

I have just had a 25k service done on my 2.2 Mazda 6 estate by an independent garage i have used for 20 years at a saving of over £100 on Mazda dealer price. They could not reset the DPF light which it appears is effectively the service light. Mazda have quoted me £46 to reset the light, a complete rip off for 5 mins work. Can any one advise me on getting this done more cost effectively. Will the approach applied on older models work on 2011 model as outline in previous posting by carl69? Any advise to avoid been mugged by Mazda would be well received.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Ive been having the same problems too with my dpf and limp mode. Ive had a regen from the AA a few times and finally found a permanent solution. I was reccomended FR&RTuning in bradford west yorkshire from a friend who has the dpf removed from his vw golf. I got mine removed from my MY07 mazda6 2.0td. Also asked for a remap to help give me little more power and economy. Dropped off at 10am picked up at 5pm. Initial impressions are WOW drives much better. They also put the car on their rolling road before and after for me. You can see youtube video that they've just uploaded of the rolling road and graphs before and after

All this for only 400kwids! I can highly recommend them. website is www.fr-rtuning.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DPF Service Indicator Resetting?