General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Default Control Arms

My 2007 6 wagon is squeaking for attention. Bad squeak and if you ask me, I'd say power steering, or ps belt. It squeaks when you turn the wheel, traveling or standing still. Small bumps in the road causes the squeak too even when traveling straight. It cost me $90 to tell me it was the front left lower control arm, and $450 to replace. Which I did, and the squeak is still there. Dealer only charged me $350 cause he didn't fix the problem - thank you very much. Now he's going to change the right front lower control arm. He's only going to charge me $200 this time. It is an authorized dealer so I would expect that they would be my best choice for trouble shooting and repairing. I don't mind paying for a repair. But I'm not in the mood to hand over cash as he continues to replace parts that might not be bad. Never heard of a part like this going bad. Car has 65,000 miles on it. All highway. No Tokyo drifts. Anyone else have any similar problems. It's not a mouse squeak, maybe more like a large crow squawk. It's loud. Something is ready to go.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Dealer just called back. He replaced the right front control arm and swears all noises went away. Wife is picking up the car now, and I'll believe when I don't hear it. $640 to replace both front control arms. I'm still scratching my head as to how a part like this can go out after 65K miles. This is my 4th Mazda and I never had any problems with the first 3.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:34 PM

Two control arms and $640 later, squeak was still there. I left the car with the dealer again. They tore apart the entire front end. Problem was a ball joint. They found a high spot on the casting. Ground it down, put it all back together, and the problem is solved. Dealer gave me a check back for $350. I am very satisfied. But still confused as to how a high spot could develop on a casting 65K miles into the life of the car??? For whatever it's worth, I hope this description of the problem and the solution is of value to someone else down the road.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Well the squeak is back. POS! This is my fourth and last Mazda. Anyone interested in an 07 Wagon, V6?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM

don't jump the gun here. a squeak is not the end of the world. many shops fail to diagnose problems and owners pay for parts and problems persist. you don't know that it is a life threatening issue here. say your exhaust hanger was broke and your muffler rattled against the frame. annoying yes but certainly not life threatening. don't condemn a fine car because 1 shop cannot find the problem. they refunded most of your money besides.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM

If it was just a squeak, I would not be worried. It was pretty loud and obvious and was the first thing anyone and everyone noticed. This is my fourth Mazda, so I do have a pretty reasonable level of expectations. This car did not meet those expectations. I'm left with the impression that Mazda's quality has declined. In addition to the squeak, I had and still have an annoying tick. Either fuel injector, valves, lifters, or crank bearings I don't know. Dealer couldn't locate and correct under warranty, now I'm stuck with it. I'm okay when I remind myself that this is just a commuter car and as long as my goal of getting 200K miles with minimum maintenance is met, then the car met it's objective. Whether I buy another Mazda has already been decided. And, for whatever it's worth, the squeak disappeared on it's own....for now.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oatsmack
My 2007 6 wagon is squeaking for attention. Bad squeak and if you ask me, I'd say power steering, or ps belt. It squeaks when you turn the wheel, traveling or standing still. Small bumps in the road causes the squeak too even when traveling straight. It cost me $90 to tell me it was the front left lower control arm, and $450 to replace. Which I did, and the squeak is still there. Dealer only charged me $350 cause he didn't fix the problem - thank you very much. Now he's going to change the right front lower control arm. He's only going to charge me $200 this time. It is an authorized dealer so I would expect that they would be my best choice for trouble shooting and repairing. I don't mind paying for a repair. But I'm not in the mood to hand over cash as he continues to replace parts that might not be bad. Never heard of a part like this going bad. Car has 65,000 miles on it. All highway. No Tokyo drifts. Anyone else have any similar problems. It's not a mouse squeak, maybe more like a large crow squawk. It's loud. Something is ready to go.
I have a similar issue with my 2007 CX9. They replace the left control arm and other stuff and it never stopped squeaking and rattling. Now the front left wheel bearing mysteriously and prematurely just failed, so you can expect that next.