General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery Warranty - Is my dealer having a laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 06:59 PM
Default Battery Warranty - Is my dealer having a laugh?

I have a 2 year old BT50 with a failed OEM battery.
Warranty Replacement covers said battery.

I called my dealer and was advised I'd have to pony up a $150 "inspection fee"; not to mention I'd have to get the vehicle towed to the dealer as they don't come to you (and I can't start it).
So basically they will replace the battery under Warranty, after I've spent the equivalent cost of a brand new battery.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like your based in or around Darwin?

The dealer is clearly being a dick.

Give Mazda head office / customer care a call and explain your situation ( and dealer attitude) They will put the dealer in their place & most likely get the vehicle towed or jumpstarted by roadside assist.

There's no way they can charge you for a warranty claim. Even if its only a flat battery.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:37 PM

The warranty coverage varies from country to country. In the US, I don't believe the battery would be covered by the standard warranty after the first year. An extra extended warranty would likely have specific requirements to reduce the probability of anyone actually filing a claim. This would be in the fine print.

I would take the battery to a local auto parts store where they can check the battery out, if they offer that service in your area. It may simply need to be recharged. If you are not driving the vehicle often, due to the pandemic, you may want to get a battery tender to slowly charge your battery. I have one for a vehicle I use occasionally. This has been handy to recharge vehicles in the family fleet that have seen limited use over the past year.

Welcome to the forum. There a lot of great helpful people on the forum. Many, like grim_reaper, have great knowledge that they are willing to share. Unfortunately there are a few bad apples as well.

If you are able to stick around, I would be interested in seeing a picture of your BT50. I wish we could get Mazda trucks in the US. I miss the B2000 I bought as my first new car.