General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Any Idea what these rims came off of? or Model of the rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Default Any Idea what these rims came off of? or Model of the rims?

It said MazdaSpeed on it. It has a 1 1/2 inch lip. 16 inch. I don't know the offset. These are suppose to be super rare and JDM. I think they would look of on an FC. It has a VIP-ish look to it. Any ideas where these rims came from or the model of it?
Name:  IMG_0535.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  75.2 KB

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

I would also guess them to fit an RX7, probably an FC model.
The fact that they do have MazdaSpeed clearly embossed on them makes me think that they are a Mazdaspeed dealer accessory, but not necessarily exclusive JDM.
1) Are they forged wheels, or cast?
2)How much do they weigh?
3) And how wide are they.
All this info may help at least identitfy what they would fit.

As for the offset, look on the back of the wheel to see if it is embossed near the center hub or bolt pattern. It will often have the letters "et" in front of or behind a set of numbers.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

I would also guess them to fit an RX7, probably an FC model.
The fact that they do have MazdaSpeed clearly embossed on them makes me think that they are a Mazdaspeed dealer accessory, but not necessarily exclusive JDM.
1) Are they forged wheels, or cast?
2)How much do they weigh?
3) And how wide are they.
All this info may help at least identitfy what they would fit.

As for the offset, look on the back of the wheel to see if it is embossed near the center hub or bolt pattern. It will often have the letters "et" in front of or behind a set of numbers.

16x7" +50 5x114.3 hub diameter 67mm

One of the member on rx7club said that these rims are rare even for JDM.

Last edited by virgin1; 07-10-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: back to back posts
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM

because of the HPO and the 16 inch size, they are more than likely ray's mazdaspeeds for the nb miata. i have heard about them, but never seen them.

ray's ms-01's for the FC
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...llhXgko3vQ&t=1

ray's ms-02's for the FD
http://rupewrecht.com/forsale/fs_ms_...17x9single.jpg

there are no images for your wheels though. since they are labeled mazdaspeed, they are genuine factory equipment for a mazdaspeed and, in-turn, made by rays. it was 2001 before mazda used another company to build a rim for them. at that point, they used enkei under their smaller company name, racinghart. those are not enkei rims, i can guarantee that.

the ray's miata wheels are the only thing missing here. that has to be what they are.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

With a +50mm offset, it almost sounds like they should fit a FWD car. I mean that's pretty extreme.
Generally speaking, RWD cars have a much more positive offset.

Was the RX7 member sure they WERE JDM, or was he/she assuming so because you posted they you had heard they might be?

Personally speaking (re: my opinion): until recently I was never too crazy about the factory alloy offering that Mazda was using. And these don't do much for me either, from a style perspective. Always so flat looking and bland. In '03 when the 6 series cars came out, and in '04 with the 3 series, they started showing a bit more style, IMO.

But again, how much do they weigh? If they are forged they should be quite lightweight. But frankly, they look like a low pressure casting and are laible to be quite heavy.

Based on what you've said (size, bolt pattern & offset,) they should fit a modern 3 series perfectly.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:02 PM

With a +50mm offset, it almost sounds like they should fit a FWD car. I mean that's pretty extreme.
Generally speaking, RWD cars have a much more positive offset.

Was the RX7 member sure they WERE JDM, or was he/she assuming so because you posted they you had heard they might be?

Personally speaking (re: my opinion): until recently I was never too crazy about the factory alloy offering that Mazda was using. And these don't do much for me either, from a style perspective. Always so flat looking and bland. In '03 when the 6 series cars came out, and in '04 with the 3 series, they started showing a bit more style, IMO.

But again, how much do they weigh? If they are forged they should be quite lightweight. But frankly, they look like a low pressure casting and are laible to be quite heavy.

Based on what you've said (size, bolt pattern & offset,) they should fit a modern 3 series perfectly.
They dont weigh that much. I'll have them scaled later, I can't find my scale right now. I wonder why you cant find the model for these rims.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by wsoape281
because of the HPO and the 16 inch size, they are more than likely ray's mazdaspeeds for the nb miata. i have heard about them, but never seen them.

ray's ms-01's for the FC
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...llhXgko3vQ&t=1

ray's ms-02's for the FD
http://rupewrecht.com/forsale/fs_ms_...17x9single.jpg

there are no images for your wheels though. since they are labeled mazdaspeed, they are genuine factory equipment for a mazdaspeed and, in-turn, made by rays. it was 2001 before mazda used another company to build a rim for them. at that point, they used enkei under their smaller company name, racinghart. those are not enkei rims, i can guarantee that.

the ray's miata wheels are the only thing missing here. that has to be what they are.
Thanks this is pretty good information. They said it was the MS-D, but it's not, they look similar but are very different. The ms-d wheels that came on the capella wagon does not have a lip like this one. And the MS-02's are ugly.... Anymore info on these set of rims will be helpful. These might be on sale. They are in perfect condition, just a little dirty from being outside.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well after completing an extensive online search using Madaspeed wheels, Mazda alloy wheels, Mazda alloys and JDM specific Mazda wheels as my search on both Yahoo and Google, spanning some 900-1000 pics I could find nothing. Some similar, but nothing exact.
Most were newer styles. Some had nothing to do with wheels at all, while others were duplicate pictures.
Short of suggesting that these are some backstreet Chinese knockoffs, I don't know what to think.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Why would anyone waste their time on making these knock off rims?
This is what one of the member thought about the wheels.
What Mazdaspeed rims are these? - RX7Club.com

Someone from japan is auctioning these wheels.
£Â£·£¸¡ù£Í£Á£Ú£Ä£Á£Ó£Ð£Å£Å£Ä¢££±£¶¥¤¥ó¥Á¡ß£·£Ê¢££´ ËÜ¢£ - Yahoo!¥ª¡¼¥¯¥·¥ç¥ó

I can't read Japanese so I have no clue what they are saying in the auction. I tried typing in B78 mazdaspeed, there was nothing on it. Besides a picture of the Bongo.

I don't know. They might be knock offs, or they might just be super rare rims like the member from RX7Club mentioned, "it's even rare for JDM"

Maybe I should send in a picture to mazdaspeed and have them authenticate it. Any links to Mazdaspeed?

Last edited by virgin1; 07-11-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM

They weigh 15 pounds, and how can you tell if they are forged or cast?

Last edited by tuanville; 07-11-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Idea what these rims came off of? or Model of the rims?