General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Annoying CX-9 clacking

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Default Annoying CX-9 clacking

2018 Mazda CX-9...just a baby and already has the MOST annoying clacking/rattle-like sound that seems to be coming from the lift-gate area and most noticeable when going slow, on a bumpy road, weather cold.

I know, I know...don't ride on bumpy roads, go faster and turn up the radio.

Seriously, has anyone else been experiencing this complete annoyance? I live in the midwest where we ONLY have bumpy roads with potholes the size of Texas.

She's in the dealer overnight for another test ride tomorrow, hoping to isolate the noise in subzero weather (should be plenty noisy for the tech). FIngers crossed!

Old 03-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

In my market there is a SSB ( Special Service Bulletin ) on the RHR coil spring & upper spring mount. Also a SSB on the tailgate hinge bolts.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
In my market there is a SSB ( Special Service Bulletin ) on the RHR coil spring & upper spring mount. Also a SSB on the tailgate hinge bolts.
i am in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. What is the market you are referring to?

Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Australia

Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Nex

I have the same sound ...mostly when its really cold..Its very annoying..
Seems to be comng from the hatch area as well..
Im gonna sit in the back area and have my wife driv and see if Ģi can pick it off.. Its almost as if its a metal coffee cup bouncing around a metal cup holder..

Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 PM

Yes! Nex, that is the sound I was hearing and swear I heard it again today a few times, but just had it in overnight at the dealer...AGAIN!

This time, they allegedly took a bunch of trim pieces off to check things out, checked "every single bolt" in the car to make sure all was tight and put foam behind the license plate holder. I think it is better, but I also think it isn't gone. I would be curious if you take it in, whether they find anything.

Tech states they were on the phone with Mazda twice...no words of wisdom. Told them to take another new 2018 model out to drive and see if mine sounds like it. They said it did. They also said they weren't hearing what I was hearing...not possible if their earwax load is low.

Anyway, I'll see how long the current "fix" lasts.

Now with the weather warming up a bit, I am hoping it's better.

Good luck.