General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Miata - Stumped won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Default 99 Miata - Stumped won't start

I'm the co-mechanic, aka "get me xxx tool" girl.
Husbands current mods if revelant: Custom intake, racing beat dual tip muffler, 8mm wires, iridium plugs, 160* t-stat, racing beat type 2 spoiler, 17" enkei wheels, nitrous, some kind of stabilizer bar across the engine, those expensive green brakes, stiff as hell suspension that is low enough to scrape speed bumps if not careful.

Just had the top half of the motor rebuilt. Every single part was labeled for the machine shop in separate ziploc bags to avoid confusion. Printouts were given on specs. The car sat for about a year due to Army life and needed a new battery. We siphoned out all the gas and put in new gas because the old looked like pee, and flushed the fuel lines. All the plugs and wires work, we visually checked them to see if they fired. Every line, belt, do-hickey, and thingamajigger is hooked up and timed right (we had that marked). This wasn't the first time he's replaced a head so he knows how to time it. Starter works because it does the "I want to start but can't". What's weird is it will start for about 5 seconds if you spray carb cleaner into the intake.

Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM

Well, if the engine wants to run, and will on carb cleaner, then it's fuel. Since the car was laid up for a year, locate the fuses associated with the fuel pump and injectors. Yank them out and put them back in a few times to clean them up. If you still can't start, check out your ignition very carefully, especially the plug gaps and plug harnesses.
The reason for this is that any mods to the ignition risk upsetting the spark detect mechanism, which, if it thinks there's something not right with the ignition, will inhibit the fuel pump. Mazdas are very fussy this way, and the plugs are both type and gap critical. Furthermore the ignition wiring harness has to have a resistance of between about 3000 and 8000 ohms, depending on their length.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 PM

These plugs and wires haven't been used so I imagine they should be fine. I'll check on the fuses. I know he's already looked into fuses, but just to see if they were bad, but I'll look into removing them a couple of times.