General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 mazda3 Radio and Info dispay problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Question 2012 mazda3 Radio and Info dispay problem

Hey All!

New here (to both the forum and to the family of mazda owners)! This seems like an impressively active forum! I need some technical input.

I recently bought a used 2012 mazda 3 (4 door sedan). Almost everything seems in great shape, and the previous owner took good care of it. The issue I am having is that the radio doesn't turn on at all, and the info display on the dashboard (the one on the right for temerature, radio, etc.) is not showing anything either. Both displays on the dash light up, but only the one on the left showing the mpg seems to be displaying any information. All that I get from the info display panel on the right is "hello" when I turn the car on, and "goodbye" when I turn it off.

I have already tried the following:
-disconnecting and reconnecting the radio after 20 minutes
-checking the following fuses:
AUDIO (20) (7.5A)
ROOM (12) (15A)
HORN (22) (15A)
-disconnecting the ground wire on the battery for 3 minutes and reconnecting (read on another post that this was a trick that had worked for other mazda-3 owners)
I read somewhere that the ROOM fuse is important for these problems and I even switched the fuses between ROOM and HORN and the horn worked with both fuses in. I am wondering if there is a disconnect with the wires connected to the ROOM input in the fusebox itself?
I want to make sure I figure out if this is an electrical connection problem in the car itself before I go and replace a perfectly good stereo, only to have the new stereo not turn on either.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Update: I had time to check the fuses today and didn't find any problem. Still no radio power. Is there an easy check for seeing if I just have a dead radio?

Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

I could be wrong, but I think there is Audio 1 fuse (20) & Audio 2 fuse (28)