General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Mazda MX3 rough engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Default 1995 Mazda MX3 rough engine performance

Hello. I'm new to Mazda's and this forum. (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/sho...499#post110499)

Brought this car home yesterday. Symptom is simply rough idle and acceleration. On the way home, I took it on the highway and was able to cruise at 75 mph; while at there was no "sputtering" at that speed, it did take longer than usual to get there since acceleration was slow.

I will be doing the following in the next couple days: (Please comment with hints/tips/concerns regarding these if you have any wisdom)

1. Fuel filter check/replace
2. Fuel pressure (where is the port?)
3. Spark plug condition check.
4. Look for obvious vacuum leaks.
5. Spark plug wires check.

Questions:

1. Is there a service manual "online" somewhere for this car? (other than AutoZone)?

2. I was going to do an ignition spark "test" with one of these but could not get it to fit on the wire. Any ideas?

3. I can use an OHM meter to test the plug wires. Any information on what resistances I should be looking for?

4. I did not see any "service engine" light on, which surprised me as rough as its running. Is this an OBD I or II? (I've had 1995 vehicles that are both.) Where is the port located?

5. (Unrelated question): The gas gauge is not working. Suggestions?

Thank you in advance. If there are other Mazda forums I should be familiar with, please let me know.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

After replacing the fuel filter, spark plugs, and plug wires, the problem went away and the car is running great.

Given the seeming popularity of Mazdaforum.com, I really expected responses to my post that extended beyond a reply from myself, after nearly a month from my initial post.

I value car forum communities a great deal. I would appreciate it if those of you with multiple Mazda forum memberships could recommend a different forum. Thanks.