Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

spots on rim lip

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Default spots on rim lip

hey everyone!

ok, i have some aftermarket rims on my car (17's) and they have a chrome lip.
anyways, the chrome lip is covered in spots i cant get off. they look like waterspots...
anyways, ive been using some mother's chrome polish on my rims, as well as that wheel cleaner stuff that you spray on/spray off.....

anybody have any ideas??

oh, and btw, i bought these rims brand new, and have been on my car for about a month now.....

Old 04-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: spots on rim lip

'You sure it's chrome and not polished aluminum?
If so, you may have used the wrong product on them and etched the aluminum. A pro can repolish them and get out the spots, but they will also need to be reclear coated too.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 PM

well,im just using metal polish, and its safe for all types of metals...
and im pretty sure its chrome.... like, polished alluminum is more hazy isnt it??
like, the outside of the lip shines like crazy and is very reflective... while the more inside is spot covered...

i'll post pics if i can later on.... when im not so busy

Old 04-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Finely polished alum can be quite shiny.
I have a friend w/a slammed Chevy S10. Until recently, I was under the impression that his Boyd Coddington wheels were chromed. I was "corrected."
Posting pics would be best. Or what wheels did you buy? Perhaps a little internet research on the subject could tell whether they are a highy polished, clear coated alum, or chrome plating. It's highly unusal for aluminum to also be chromed. It doesn't take well for too long and the different metals conflict w/each other causing a galvanic action. In that contest, the aluminum loses to the chrome. Just ask anyone who owned a late '70's/early '80's Jeep Cherokee or Wagoneer. They chromed the aluminum bumpers and we were always replacing them... when I worked for Jeep.
Products designed for chrome often etch other metals as they are caustic to paint and alum. Or if clear coated finish, may affect that finish also.