Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Need help with Code for Radio.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Default Need help with Code for Radio.

I recently had to replace the negative battery cable on my 1995 Mazda Millenia L... and now my radio unit is flashing CODE on the LCD screen.

I looked through my paperwork, and contacted the person I bought it from, but no one has the code for the radio.

Am I stuck like chuck and just need to buy an aftermarket head unit, or is there a way to retrieve the code? I like my CD changer to much and need my cruising music.

thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need help with Code for Radio.

Hmmm... I didn"t know Mazda ever got into the radio code business. How "80"s of them.
Well, if you can"t find out how by doing a Google/Yahoo search, perhaps a local dealer can offer some words of wisdom?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Hey found this online. Maybe you can put it in the FAQ section..
The following instructions are for resetting the factory Panasonic radio in Mazda Millenia. The impetus for me putting up this page is because I was unable to find this exact information, and had to use trial and error to end my non-radio days after a battery change. I bought the car used, and it didn't come with an owner's manual.
There are two ways to go about resetting the radio - the first is if you happen to know the Owner's Code, and the second is if you don't (my situation).
If you know the Owner's Code, a four-digit code, the instructions are fairly simple:
Turn the ignition to ACC
Briefly and simultaneously press both SEARCH and AUTO-M. This action should change the display from a blinking code to a solid .
Using the radio preset buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4, set the Owner's Code in the display. The first position can be set using the 1 button, the second using the 2 button, etc.
Press and hold both SEARCH and AUTO-M until you hear a loud beep and the display shows good. The radio will then turn off, and you're ready to start listening again.

If you don't know the Owner's Code, the instructions are similar. The first goal is to get the display to flash err instead of code. Then you can enter the Dealer Code to reset the radio. Here are the steps:
Turn the ignition to ACC
Briefly and simultaneously press both SEARCH and AUTO-M. This action should change the display from a blinking code to a solid .
Using the radio preset buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4, set any four-digit code in the display. The first position can be set using the 1 button, the second using the 2 button, etc.
Press and hold both SEARCH and AUTO-M. If by some chance you guessed the Owner's Code, there will be a loud beep and the display will show good before the radio turns off. If this happens, you are done. More likely, the display will briefly show err and then change back to the flashing code.
Repeat steps 1-4 until you have a flashing err instead of a flashing code.
Press the following buttons in sequence: SEARCH, AM, AUTO-M, FM 1/2. The display should now show .
Set the code to 4989 using the preset buttons, as before.
Press and hold both SEARCH and AUTO-M until you hear a loud beep and the display shows good. The radio will then turn off, and you're ready to start listening again

Old 11-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Kass,
I can, but it would be better coming from you.
Start a new thread in the Milly, or if you prefer, this section (A/V/E,) rewrite (or edit) what you"ve got for easier viewing/reading (use more separations/paragraphs between things, like a How-To) and let me know. I"ll"sticky" it for you.

And GOOD JOB!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

P.S. Numbers and bullets are great separations techniques too.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 PM

Ok, I made the HOW TO in the Milly forum. I hope it helps other people as it did I.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'll locate and sticky it when I get home today. "Outta" time now.....

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM

i have the same problem with my '04 mazda rx-8. it wants a reset code and ive tried a few different ones that ive found on here but none of them worked. what are you using for the search button cause my radio doesnt have a search button.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 AM

@codymac
I think it probably only works for 2003-2007 Mazda 6 production model. Kindly tell us model?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 AM

Thanks all for your help with this! I can't believe Mazda keep this quiet; surely it's bordering on the illegal to rip customers off like this? Anyway, thanks again, you've just saved me £130 when I'd have had to replace a perfectly good stereo unit!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with Code for Radio.