2003 Tribute aerial - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 02-15-2017, 04:15 PM

Default 2003 Tribute aerial

I hope that someone can give me some advice.

I rarely listen to the radio but I do usually play CDs when driving but now I find that when I insert a CD, although I'm fairly sure that I can hear some sort of whiney sound which I assume is the aerial motor working, the aerial, itself, refuses to raise up. I don't know much about the technicalities but I'm a bit wary of playing the CDs in case I burn something out.

I have managed to prise up the extending part of the aerial and cleaned it as best I could but it still doesn't work.

Am I looking at replacing the entire aerial - motor, extending wand and everything or is this possibly something that I could fix myself? I've looked online to see whether I could find any information about this and also to try to locate a new aerial setup. I did manage to find a YouTube video (I think from Australia) which showed the replacement of a 'wand and rope' which seemed the sort of thing I might be able to manage (I'm 68 and have some arthritis in my hands) and I'm willing to give it a go if I can find the part and it would solve the problem.

I apologise for the extended post and would be grateful for any advice anyone can kindly offer.