Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Default Mazda 6 Headlights

Well. I have already replaced the left side headlight and fog light on my 05 6. Recently my right side lights went out. What a pain that side is. The wires, windshield wiper fluid container gets in the way. I put the new h1 and h3 bulbs in and they are not working... The left side is working fine still... Any thoughts? Could it be a short or a bad fuse? I do not know much about electrical things.. If it is a bad fuse, what should I be looking for?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 PM

check the actual connection may be burnt if you had aftermarket bulbs of higher wattage..

Old 07-03-2010, 10:58 AM

well, I can not quite tell if that is the problem.. So.. i dunno

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Default headlights malfunction

Well, fuses seem to be fine. It is going to cost about $90 to take it into Mazda. Any other ideas? Could it be a bad wire harness? I do not know how to fix those...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Default Intermittent Headlight Fault

There's been lots of questions over the headlights on these cars having an intermittent fault.

Until recently, our car had been ok, then, 8 years old, the headlights started failing.

So, after starting with the easy checks, earth strap, relays, fuses etc, the headlights still not working all the time.

Decided to take the headlights out and check them off the car. This is easy to do, although does involve dropping the bumper first, which again is easy if you work systematically.

On opening the over behind the normal bulb, I noticed the black lead to the body of the bulb looked a little white, like it had been overheating. Checking the other side, it was the same, only split too, guessing from the heat.

After the stealership have quoted £150 each headlight, plus nothing in stock, I decided to replace the wire myself.

If you are gentle you can pull through the black lead once you have cut off the terminal. Once enough slack, a quick snip near the high beam bulb, soldered and heat shrunk a replacement wire, fed through, cable tied in out the way, new terminal etc.

I replaced the bulbs too as I was there, car back together, voila, good as gold.

Total repair cost was under a tenner, inc. 2 new headlight bulbs.

NB. be careful when pulling the old wire through, if you pull to hard, you can pull the plug out the headlight leveling motor. I did this on one, and was a real pig to get back in.

I had to end up drilling a 20mm hole just behind the motor to get a finger in, but bought a grommet and sealed the hole fully after.

Last edited by Shafski; 09-20-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Default Mazda 6 Headlights

Ok, last time I got only 1 answer, so I try again! We have a Mazda6 and the headlights are very dim. And there are 3 bulbs (I think) on each side, one of them is on when I have my headlights on (it's a little tiny bulb...). And the other one is for the brights. And then there's one more and we assume that it's supposed to be for the normal headlight, but it never comes on. Can someone help us? We've been at Mazda and they say it's normal but we are pretty sure that we saw other Mazda 6 with brighter lights. Or with the big light in the front that's never on on ours.
Maybe someone can send me a pic of their Mazda6 with the headlight on or something.
I appreciate your help!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Dwain
Ok, last time I got only 1 answer, so I try again! We have a Mazda6 and the headlights are very dim.
What year is it?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 AM

Ours is the 2003 model, 3 light bulbs plus the indicator. The one closest to the grill is the high beam, then the side light, then the one by the wing is the normal headlight bulb for night driving. This should be one along with the small side light when the headlights are on.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Default headlights

I too am having the same problem but was told that my fog lights were burned out and there is no power. My headlights do not come on unless I put on the high beams. Can someone tell me why this is? I am told that the only night lights that are suppose to be on are the little ones on the far right and far left. Picutures if possible.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM

I just joined this forum just to fix this passenger side headlight low beam problem on my 2003 Mazda6. I think the whole right fender needs to come off. Who designed this POC? Looks like all on the drivers side is readily accessible. Is there not an easy fix for this? The owners manual says take it in to the dealership. For a headlight replacement??!! I have a rear brake light out as well. I hope it isn't this problematic!

Last edited by Fifty4F100; 11-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Mazda 6 Headlights