Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Bit tidier formatting:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Alignment figs april 092.pdf (5.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
What age/reg is your car ???
It is a 2008 2.0 litre diesel Sport model.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by davmal735
If Mazda UK can't recall any other tyre wear issues on Mazda 5 cars, just give them the case number 1-56184232 and see if it jogs their memory. It goes back to 12 Mar 07. Good luck, as MMUK Customer Assistance Centre appears to be staffed by amnesiacs as when I reported my problems they had not had any other instances, despite me seeing a pile of worn Dunlops heaped in the corner of the dealer's workshop which was investigating my case. My contact at the time was John Smith (no really).
Thanks for that. Does the case ref refer to rear or front tyre issues?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 PM

Hi,

We have had our 2008 model mazda5 2.0D sport since March.

Since then we have only done 3500 miles but the OUTSIDE edge of the front Dunlop tyres (about a 1cm band) is wearing heavily.

I know the older models had problems with tyre wear but I thought that was the inside edge ??

Has anyone else with a 2008 model got anything similar ?? My wife drives it most of the time and is not screeching round roundabouts with the kids in the car.

(I know there is a thread on the tyre wear but as this is new model I thought it best to start a new one)

Thanks
I've just replied to you on the old thread actually! But yes, mine is also a 2008 2.0l Sport. Like your wife I don't screech around roundabouts, not drive on dirt tracks!!
Am still waiting for a senior person to respond from MMUK re my two worn fron tyres ( inner edge.)

Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by aligloo
I've just replied to you on the old thread actually! But yes, mine is also a 2008 2.0l Sport. Like your wife I don't screech around roundabouts, not drive on dirt tracks!!
Am still waiting for a senior person to respond from MMUK re my two worn front tyres ( inner edge.)
Yes ours is a 2.0d Sport - same problem.

That makes 4 2008 models with the same problem - dont think mazda have cured it on the new model for definate as they claim.

This may be of use to you:

Robert Hancock Direct dial - 01322 622 651

Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 AM

Front tyres only. Makes it sound as though I got away lightly.......I will list the other problems too, if you like >

Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM

As one of the first people to notice this phenomena on my 2005 Sport I know how you are all feeling. This is a total sham. Mazda are fully aware of the issue and are not trying to sort it out obviously.
As soon as my car came out of Mazda warranty, I took my car to a local tyre garage who had tested the car for me some years ago, when I first noticed the problem. They put the car onto the Lazer jig and aligned all four wheels. I then put on a full set of new tyres. The seventh set on a four year old car with 30K on the clock!! (not good) To date there is no sign of wear on any of the tyres.
The proof is there. Jon Smith at MMUK should be ashamed that he has let this get to this stage. He personally has know about it for years.
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Now that I have covered over 1000 miles on the 4 new replacement Dunlop Sport Maxx TT my experience of the tyre today in the wet is that they slip too easily if pulling off from standstill or very near standstill at Junctions and roundabouts. The front spinning, bouncing and juddering as the traction control and DSC are doing their thing too.
But this could still be caused by the excessive negative camber until the tyre has worn enough to give a fuller contact patch on the road and improve the 'coefiecient of friction' between tyre and road. Or.... it could be because we've had about 2 or more weeks of good weather and all the roads are a bit greasy. I'll let you know if it improves, else you should insist on the original Dunlop Sport 2050.
Still no reply from Mazda to my second letter of complaint sent 2 weeks ago, maybe held up in the holiday post.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Go on then- maybe it will cheer me up!!
Incidentally, does your car clunk/thud about 10 secs after pulling away for the first time every day?? I've now been told its feature not a fault!!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Yes ours is a 2.0d Sport - same problem.

That makes 4 2008 models with the same problem - dont think mazda have cured it on the new model for definate as they claim.

This may be of use to you:

Robert Hancock Direct dial - 01322 622 651
Cheers!

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5