Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Factory audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Default Factory audio

How would those who know rate the 6 disc changer? The AM/FM tuners? Speakers, etc.?
Also, on the Sport model, does the upgrade package to the 6 disc changer include an upgrade to 6 speakers as well? Any info would be gladly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Default RE: Factory audio

Only had my 5 for a week before I had to return it for the recall, but from the 250 miles worth of driving I did I was satisfied with the sound quality of the 6-disc system with the 6 speakers. I just traded in a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor with a 6-disc Infinity system, so I was used to those acoustics. The 5's system is not quite as powerful and lacks somewhat in the bass department compared to the Infinity (but that system had a factory sub), but the highs in the 5 are clearer and crisper, and overall I don't feel like I am giving up anything with this system. Addition of a sub or a bazooka tube would make it a very sufficient system, but I don't even think I'll bother. The tuner also seems fine...no problems picking up stations. In addition, this changer seems to operate better mechanically than my Endeavor's Infinity system did...a much quicker, smoother transition between discs.

As for the upgrade on the Sport model...can't be sure because I opted for the Touring model...but I'm 99% that the upgraded audio package includes the changer and the speaker upgrade.

Steering wheel audio controls are the icing on the cake.

Can't wait to get my 5 back...

Old 09-29-2005, 10:43 PM

You can upgrade to a 6 disc by either purchasing the module alone or it is included in the Popular Equipment Package which also throws in side sill extensions and a rear liftgate spoiler. No indication that it also includes the two extra speakers although I would be willing to bet that the wiring and connectors are there but just not used on the 4 speaker system.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:00 PM

I got a message back from MazdaUSA saying that the Popular Equipment Package does NOT include the speaker upgrade but only the changer upgrade. They said nothing about the wiring being in place for the extra 2 speakers. FYI.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:09 PM

Gary, did a little more research into the speakers. The extra two are the small tweeters mounted into the front door sail garnish. I checked on a sport model without speakers and yes the wires are there and plugged into a little slot in the back of the garnish trim so they do not rattle around. I also pulled a tweeter off of a touring model and plugged into the sport to make sure it would operate and it works just fine so no extra wiring or mods needed to add the tweeters. The tweeters are sold separately from the sail garnish trim. Tweeters retail from Mazda for $78.55 each and are part number C239-66-960. The right side sail garnish with speeker grill is part #C236-69-111 and left side is C236-69-171. They retail for $16.25 each. So for $189.60 and about 5 minutes of your time you can add the 6 speaker setup.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:49 PM

Thank you for this information

Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 PM

Here is some information you might find helpful...at least it will help you ask the dealer the right questions.

I bought the touring model. The salesmen told me that the 6CD stereo played mp3 formatted CDs. I took his word for it. It does not.

I was not happy at all when I found out, but accepted his apology. This is his story, and I need to confirm this: The touring model wiring harness is such that the mp3 playing version is not available.

If I recally correctly, the 6 speaker system is the origin of the wiring harness limitation.

I basically bought a car thinking it came with a 600 song capacity, only to find out it is really about 60.

Aside from that blunder, the 6CD changer stereo is great and I love the sound. I think it is a great system.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:04 PM

I don't see any way for the wiring harness to affect the CD player being able to play MP3s or not. I would bet the CD changer has 2 audio line-level connections to the main head unit and some sort of control cable. The changer converts the digital stuff on the CD to line-level audio, so the limitation will be in the changer itself and maybe the head unit can't control that many tracks, but the wires don't care.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 PM

I got Sirius in mine, so who needs 60, 600, 6000 songs, Sirius is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Simple fox for you issue.