Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

speed 3 short fuel trim recall, ca.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Default speed 3 short fuel trim recall, ca.

I recently bought a 2007 mazda speed 3. i am so happy with it the power is awsome. Then I got a notice in the mail about a emissions recall. It said that the short fuel trim maximum threashold strategy was inoperative and that it was against california emissions regulations. Well i had it fixed since it was free thinking nothing of it. When I got my car back and drove I could definately tell the difference. When I punchedthe normal feeling of being thrown back in my seat was gone and the top end was definately smoothed out which I did not like. Has anyone else experienced this? I am taking it back tomorrow to see what the dealer can doabout it. If there is nothing I could do about it, this won't be the end. They took away the whole reason why I bought the car in the first place and I am thinking about seeking a lawyer next. Does anyone agree?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: speed 3 short fuel trim recall, ca.

I feel your pain, Bud, andthat's one reason I haven't taken my '04 back for an ECU re-flash.Car companies and their Dealershipsare not there to "tune" your car but to follow strict emissions guidelines setup by the government, or get into some serious legal trouble if caught doing otherwise.
If it's law in California there is probably nothing you can do about it.
Find an independant tuner who might be able to reverse, or revamp the fuel map. That's probably your best bet, and will save you a lot of frustrated time and money (gettting no where) in the process. You may have some problems passing Cali emissions testing (PZEV) after that however, so be prepared.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:06 AM

My car is included in this recall campaign as well. And since I'm in CA, I will inevitably have to comply with this recall prior to registration. Has anyone else experienced a similar adverse effect on performance as a result of having this "fix" performed on their MS3?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 AM

you can always check your recalls by loggin into www.mymazda.com . they're not always up to date with the info, but at it helps a bit. i got a recall warning as well, but somehting a bit different. i dont know what it is. can anyone explain it?

[*]Mil Illumination (dtc P2006) Voluntary Emission Recall [/ul]
[*]Obd-ii Compliance Voluntary Emission Recal [/ul]

Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 AM

Brought my MS3 in for an oil change and also had the recall done back in August, but did not experience a noticeable difference in the car's power/performance. Have you taken it back to the dealer since you had the recall service performed? Any updates/improvements? Just curious because this topic doesn't seem to be as discussed as I expected it to be.