Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New 2012 Skyactive owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Default New 2012 Skyactive owner questions

Just bought a 2012 skyactive sedan, 6 speed manual.

Like the car so far, but some things I am not sure about.

-Car makes an ungodly racket when first started like it's oil starved. Goes away in a matter of seconds, but still stressful. Normal?

-Radio reception seems to be sub par. I have the integrated window antenna, and the stock Kkyactive radio. Is this typical?

-I have heard 9and seen) that Mazdas do not do well with rust. Any particular rust proofing you would recommend?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

My Mazda 6 2006 V6 rattles upon start up and goes away.

Rustproofing: DO NOT BY ELECTRICAL MODULE: Electronic rust prevention

I have Diamond Kote which is a non drip coating that costs me almost $500. Yearly inspections are required. If new application is required, they charge $20-$30. It says re-application is needed after 5 years. I haven't yet. It is lifetime.

Yearly oil sprays are pretty good.

Krown is great but not cheap, $119 + Tax. I think this requires yearly applications.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by mangler
-I have heard 9and seen) that Mazdas do not do well with rust. Any particular rust proofing you would recommend?
Where I live they love to salt the roads even if its only frost so most cars here rust after 5 years, that said I used a tar based undercoating on my 3 and 323, just make sure you clean the underside REALLY good before you apply any coating as any debris/salt/water left behind stays there and still does damage. I generally have to recoat/inspect before and after winter (with occasional times during winter if I scrape the bottom of the car) and reapply as necessary. Most window antennas are horrible, there just isnt enough cross section to grab the radio waves for clear listening, also radios these days arent built like they used to be, the radio in my first car ('70 Mustang) had a GREAT radio, would pick up AM better than anything today, grab FM like nothing and play 8-tracks better than any...........ummmmmmmmmm no lets not go there :P Judging by how radio seems to be dying satellite radio seems to be your best choice anyways.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned
Wink

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
and play 8-tracks better than any...........ummmmmmmmmm no lets not go there
It's too late, you already went there!
I remember driving to Florida with my parents (I was in back seat) and listening to 8 Tracks. We listened to CCR, Neil Diamond and Simon & Garfunkel. Records were still very popular, then 8 Tracks went out and cassettes came in. Finally CD's. CD's were great. Now it's mp3 and we use the computer.
What engine did you have in the 70's Mustang?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Was just a 302 with a C4, nothing spectacular but was my first car, bought it in 2003 after I was out of high school rusted out hulk though, frame broke in 2004 so I stripped it and sold all the good parts for more than I bought the car for AND transmission repair.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned
Arrow

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Was just a 302 with a C4 bought it in 2003 after I was out of high school .
Small block. Too Bad. 426 or 427 (I forget) would have been sweet or even 351.
For a second I was worried about your age! Thought you might be older than me, obviously not! I graduated from High School in the 80's.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM

From what I have read, I will be getting Corrosion Free 3000. From Robinson Automotive, not Canadian Tire. I am sure some do a great job, but most reviews I have seen state the car was not done right there.

Any aftermarket radios available that will integrate with the steering controls?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mangler
From what I have read, I will be getting Corrosion Free 3000. From Robinson Automotive, not Canadian Tire. I am sure some do a great job, but most reviews I have seen state the car was not done right there.

Any aftermarket radios available that will integrate with the steering controls?
It may be too early for this 2012 model.
TRY HERE: iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
This is an afterthought process from the aftermarket.
On this link you input your car and stereo you want.
For more info on how it works: CLICK

Attached Thumbnails New 2012 Skyactive owner questions-wile-e-coyote-genius.gif   New 2012 Skyactive owner questions-imnotdeaf.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

Glad I found this again. Remembered something with rattling upon start up and going away. Exact same thing happened to me today. I took it to my buddy's shop. We were thinking to change the oil filter as the anti-drain portion of it may not be working. Then mechanic said "Sure it's not an exhaust leak", I said "No i'm not sure, mind as well check it while it's up on hoist". Sure enough it is an exhaust leak. They say it's front exhaust manifold. F___K. For the first 1--15 secs engine was louder than before then went away (acceptably). Now I have an appointment on Aug 23 after the Mazda Meet. 3-6 hour job possibly.