Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 Skyactive 2013 engine will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Default Mazda 3 Skyactive 2013 engine will not start

Hi,

I just purchased my used 2013 Mazda 3 Skyactive from a dealership and have had it for only for 32 days. Yesterday on my 20KM to work I pulled into a gas station to get a coffee and the engine just died, I rolled a bit and the steering wheel locked which I understand will do if power is lost? I tried to start the car and it would not turn over (there is not a clicking sound), I waited a few seconds and again it would not turn over, each time the lights on the dash would start to flicker until my battery was completely dead. Hubby came and gave me a boost and the battery was juiced up but the engine would still not start. I am not sure if this could be a alternator or alternator sensor issue? The weather was cold, first time driving it in the snow. Also the night before coming home from work in the snow storm I noticed a slight funny smell, it did not smell like coolant but just a little strange, I had the anti skid button turned off as I drove better without it on all the way home.

For a few weeks I have been noticing that when I accelerate the lights in the car and head lights become brighter and when I slow down it becomes dimmers. Also I noticed lately in picking up speed the car seemed just a slight bit sluggish than it was when I purchased it a month ago.

Right now the car is at the dealership, they have not looked at it yet but since it is under manufactures warranty I am considering having it towed to Mazda this morning.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be the problem?

Thanks

Last edited by dslauenwhite; 12-13-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

sounds like a bad alternator, it charges more as revs (speed) goes up (because your headlights get brighter).
could also be a short somewhere. make sure all grounds are clean as well as battery and alternator connectors.
Definitely should still be covered for warranty.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Thank you for your reply, just waiting for Mazda to open and will be sending my car to them for repair. I complained to the Dealership who sold me the car about the lights dimming and getting brighter as well it takes forever for the car to heat up but heard this is typical for this make, drive 7KM before bright blue light goes off.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:28 AM

quick question, hubby just mentioned that he juiced the battery back up and the car still would not start, could this still be a possible alternator issue?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dslauenwhite
quick question, hubby just mentioned that he juiced the battery back up and the car still would not start, could this still be a possible alternator issue?
not likely, sounds more serious than alternator.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 AM

Could be electrical?

Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Just got off phone with mechanic, got the car started, will idle for a short while and then conk out. He is looking at the wires, wondered if I had gas in the car eventhough it reads I do (yes, I never let it go under a quarter of a tank and fill every week).

Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Banned

Just got off phone with mechanic, got the car started, will idle for a short while and then conk out. He is looking at the wires, wondered if I had gas in the car eventhough it reads I do (yes, I never let it go under a quarter of a tank and fill every week).
That's great, running around with low fuel 1/8 tank will put extra strain on the fuel pump. The fuel pump has to work harder and, on top of it, it has no fuel to cool it.
obviously the car needs fuel and spark to run, hence his question about the fuel, however, your issues are elctrical as stated with your flickering lights.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM

Outcome was bad PCM board and fuel pump modual. Vehicle is a 2013 and still under warranty, all is covered. Now that Mazda has figured it out which took 4 days I have to wait for the board to come in (by order), hopefully I have my car by Christmas! at least its under warranty and that's the main thing.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Outcome was bad PCM board and fuel pump modual. Vehicle is a 2013 and still under warranty, all is covered. Now that Mazda has figured it out which took 4 days I have to wait for the board to come in (by order), hopefully I have my car by Christmas! at least its under warranty and that's the main thing.

Thanks for your help!!!!
Hurray for warranty!
Sucks to be without a car. I see lots of last minute shopping in your future!