Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Headlights: Halogen --> LED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Default Headlights: Halogen --> LED?

Hi y'all! I'm the proud owner of a 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring! I absolutely love it. Anyway, after about 3 years & 70,000 miles(bought in Nov. '13) I'd like to upgrade my standard halogen headlights to the standard LED lights the 3's come with.

Does anyone know:
1) if it's at all feasible?
2) if so, is it a simple swap of old vs. new? or is there new wiring that has to be done?
3) Ideas of where I can get a set of OEM? I also have the halogen fog lights on the car as well.

I do have some solid mechanic & electrical experience. But if it proves to be too much financially...well we'll go from there.

Thanks for your feedback! Hope y'all have a Happy New Year!

- Steve

Old 01-01-2017, 12:13 AM

they are all a bulb replacement with an inline converter box, still uses the regular light harness.

I have the 2016, and when I plan to do this I think I am going to go with https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1...l#.V72xE8RHanM

Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JeffMD
they are all a bulb replacement with an inline converter box, still uses the regular light harness.

I have the 2016, and when I plan to do this I think I am going to go with https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1...l#.V72xE8RHanM
While those folks will sell you plug in LEDs to replace your halogen bulbs, the end result will not be equivalent to the factory HID setup found on the GT models (which are Xenon projectors by the way).

You should also know LED bulbs project their light in a different pattern versus halogen bulbs, so if you do go with the LED retrofit, you may find the lighting is either insufficient or dangerous to other drivers.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM

OP did not want HID...replacing the lenses for an HID retrofit is amazingly costly, while LED is a very modest cost and does not require replacing anything. And there is a slight difference in pattern, but the halogen iris still has a hard cut off point and thus is NOT dangerous to other drivers as long as it is kept intact. It would be no different with HID.

I of course advocate researching your choice in bulb, their are a lot of shiat tier LED kits with LED elements that don't last and light patterns that suck. I spent hours researching forum post about peoples experience with many of ebays and amazons repertoire of quality products (thats the joke). There isn't nearly many LED review videos for mazda's unfortunately.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 PM

Ok so poking around at other led videos, I do find the general consensus is LEDs are not focused enough, even the 2 strokes suffer from a lack of a hot spot. It doesnt get as plain as this;

So pretty much... it is halogens or HID until we get a revolution in LED lights where they are made differently.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by zoomzoom4
Hi y'all! I'm the proud owner of a 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring! I absolutely love it. Anyway, after about 3 years & 70,000 miles(bought in Nov. '13) I'd like to upgrade my standard halogen headlights to the standard LED lights the 3's come with.

Does anyone know:
1) if it's at all feasible?
2) if so, is it a simple swap of old vs. new? or is there new wiring that has to be done?
3) Ideas of where I can get a set of OEM? I also have the halogen fog lights on the car as well.

I do have some solid mechanic & electrical experience. But if it proves to be too much financially...well we'll go from there.

Thanks for your feedback! Hope y'all have a Happy New Year!

- Steve
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have been searching for quite some time about this. Did you ever find out anything to make this happen? I'm looking to do that same.