Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Default Daytime Running Lights

I read that the Canadian models of Mazda3 have daytime running lights (DRL) as required by law in most Canadian provinces. Can a Mazda dealer enable DRL on any car? If so, is it fairly easy to do? We're moving from a VW that has DRL and I'd rather like having it on our Mazda3. (We're in the U.S., not Canada.)

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Daytime Running Lights

DRL is not programmable on the Mazda 3. It either has it or not. There a variety of aftermarket kits available however to either use the headlights or marker lights as daytime running lights.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:13 PM

What kind of program can someone get to use the side markers/turn signal lamps as daytime running lights on the 3i. I know that I can buy some directly from Mazda for about $350. Also, do you know how to remove the lens from the side markers, I would like to maybe change the light color or put something on the inside of the lens.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 PM

Was not able to fiind any kits in the accessory guide from Mazda. Where did you see that kit for $350??
Take a look at this link for aftermarket. http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/

Which light/lens are you looking to remove. The front combo lights where the headlights are housed or the little lens just in front of the front door opening?

Old 12-23-2005, 07:50 AM

This is where I found the lights, they are the fog lights actually.. http://accessories.mazdausa.com/comm...Code=M3S#11131 it is directly from Mazda and the price is $250. The lens/light cover I want to remove is the side marker, not the headlight assembly.[sm=bling.gif]

Old 12-26-2005, 09:37 PM

But the front side marker light is in the headlamp assembly?? The little amber colored bulb on the outer edge functions as the front side marker. The only other lens is the clear one in front of the door opening that is for the turn signals only.
Anyway, the side marker bulbs in the headlamp assembly can be accessed from the engine compartment. Is kind of a tight fit and you will probably have to move the main fuse/relay box out of the way to get the left side out.
The clear turn lamps in front of the door openings are easy. Grasp the front edge of the lens and pull towards rear of vehicle. Should slide backwards about 5 mm. Then use either your fingernails or a small screw driver to pop the front edge of the lens away front the vehicle and then pull on out.
Shop manual shows sliding forward but all the ones I tried slid towards rear of car. Manual is again Bass Ackwards[:@]

Old 12-27-2005, 11:05 AM

my bad, the one's i wanted to remove are the side lamps, in front of the doors. Is there a way to get those to come on while just having the lights on, not only when using turn signal? I am going to try and make a Mazda3 symbol to go inside the plastic lens, so when it is on, people can see it.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Would not be able to have on all the time and still function as a turn signal. Only way you could get them to be on with the running lights would be to cut the wires and run new ones up to the front side marker harness.
Now I see what you mean about removing the lens cover. Problem is you can't. Was going to check for the bulb number and discovered that the light is only available as an assembly for $24.00.[:@] The lens is glued to the base and will probably involve destroying to try and remove. I wonder who had that great idea.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM

Well that sucks right there, so you can not change the bulb color or lens color or anything, they make it easy to mod a Mazda in some aspects, but when it comes to the little stuff, they take it away from us. Oh well, I will have to try and find a way to do something else to them then.[sm=badidea.gif]