Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Broken bolts when removing splash guard under the engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Default Broken bolts when removing splash guard under the engine

I got all my bits and pieces and got started with the basics of my first service. Things were going fine...I did a superb job changing the air filter Then I moved on to the oil change and hit a problem. When taking off the splash guard engine cover underneath the bolts holding it in place started to break...they are all rusted! Bad enough that they broke but one will not come off and keeps twisting in place. So now I can't get the splash guard off to complete the oil change and when I do I have a problem with removing the broken bolts so I can re-attach it afterwards

Anyone have suggestions on removing the bolt that is twisting in place? And when I do that how will I put the splash guard back on? Drill new holes or get tools to try and take out the broken bolts?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM

The bolt is most likely twisting because the clip-nut (see pic) has broken and is not attached to what is should be IF the 3 uses clip-nuts. The ones that broke can be replaced by removing the old clip-nut and getting either another clip-nut or just use a nut and bolt. Give me a few mins for some research and I will be right back.

Attached Thumbnails Broken bolts when removing splash guard under the engine-clip-nut.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Ok I looked at mine, it does use clip-nuts so you didnt break a bolt off in anything important PHEW!!

Attached Thumbnails Broken bolts when removing splash guard under the engine-mazda3-clip-nut.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

It's a pretty common issue, especially on the older models where the nut attached to the clip breaks the welds and seizes with the bolt. Mazda actually changed to a different kind of clip/nut on later models because of that.

As far as removing it goes you can just reach over the top of the shield and hold the nut with a pair of pliers to remove the bolt. After that you have a few choices:
-live without that anchor point
-replace with a new clip/nut
-move a functioning one from another location
-use a zip tie
-JB weld the existing nut into immobility

My splash shield is currently held on via only four points at the corners. The front right one is seized like you describe, however I've just left that one because now I just remove three and then I can rotate the shield out of the way with the last as a pivot. One of my remaining back ones seized up and for one oil change interval I just secured it with a zip tie. The next time I went through I pulled one of the functioning clips from another location on the shield.

You can buy all new clips from the dealer, but it runs about $25 for the full set, and as I noted above you really don't need a full set to hold it in place. A member on another forum said he complained about it to his dealer and they just gave him a bunch for free.