Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Changing brake pads soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Default Changing brake pads soon

I need to change my pads soon. Last time I inspected them I noticed that the pads look to be held in place by a clip? I didnt spend alot of time checking them out but what Im wondering is...is there a site I can go to that shows how to change these pads or is it the standard way of taking out 2 bolts, pulling the calipers taking the pads out and replacing in reverse? Any advise a newbie to the 3 would need? Any specific brand I should use?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Changing brake pads soon

The inner pads in the rear (not sure about the front) are held onto the piston with those clips. Once the piston is compressed you just slide the new pad on from the side to attach it. It makes more sense if you're looking at it. FYI the rear piston must be turned to compress it. It's possible to do the old school way with pliers, but it's way easier to get a brake caliper tool which fits into the little nubs on the piston. I got mine for $18 at Harbor Freight. No need to open the resevoir, or the bleeder valve if you're just doing pads/rotors so the install is that much easier. For removeing the caliper there are two bolts on the back of the caliper with plastic dust covers. Remove the covers, pull the bolts and the caliper will come off. I believe the bolts are a #7 Allen.

As far as pads I went with Hawk HPS as I heard some pretty good reviews on them. They've been super quiet, and put out much less dust that the OE organic pads. If you go with those make sure you get the ones with the clips on them as there are two pads listed for the 3.

Once you have finished and reassemble everything you need to pump the e-brake a bunch (10-20 times) in order to ratchet the rear piston back out and put the pads in the proper position against the rotor. After that bed them in on the rotor and you're good to go.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Thats just what I needed. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get to this this weekend.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

No problem, happy to help. Just let us know if you run into any snags.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Can anyone tell me who long it takes to turn the rear caliper piston back into the caliper? It seems like its going nowhere. Im turning clockwise with needle nose plyers. They need to go way in...

Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: wooddy

Can anyone tell me who long it takes to turn the rear caliper piston back into the caliper? It seems like its going nowhere. Im turning clockwise with needle nose plyers. They need to go way in...
Turn the rearpiston back into the caliper...

Uhhh, what am I missing? I have been doing brake jobs for over thirty years and I have never once seen a caliper piston that "screwed" back into the caliper. As far as I know (having never done a brake job on a Mazda3), ALL pistons are pressed back into the caliper.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

This is not new. In fact the first ones I saw were on a now old Saab 99 and we couldn"t figure out what was going on with them.But I"ll be damned if I can figure out why the manufacturer"s design them this way.
The pistons have to be screwed in AND compressed at the same time.
Go to your local (I hope) AutoZone and rent the caliper piston tool.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM

the mazda3 is the most retarded car to do a brake job done on (i did mine a while back) ITS AN ALLEN KEY. IVE NEVER SEEN IT LOL ITS RETARDED.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM

I got it guys. It was actually a piece of cake. Compressed and turned, compressed and turned...etc. Channel locks and a cheap piston compresion tool.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Wow, learn something new every day. Pressed AND screwed. Who woulda thunk it?