Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Broken door handles--within door

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Default Broken door handles--within door

Have an 01 Tribute... Inside door handle broke about a year ago...been rolling down window and opening from outside handle...well a couple days ago, the outside handle broke...any ideas on a fix...son is mechanically inclined, we can buy parts & fix...what parts??

Old 07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Broken door handles--within door

Which door will not open??
Most common fault with Tribute doors not opening is a broken latch/lock assembly. It is not available as a separate part but will come with the inner and outer handles/cable which sounds like you need inner handle also. Mazda parts catalog simply calls it the door lock.
There are about 9 different part numbers depending upon application. Dealer should be able to determine correct part needed by the VIN. PM with the last 8 digits of your VIN if you like and should be able to pull up the right part. Prices range from $175 to $230.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 AM

Ive got a interior drivers side and both for the pass side.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM

To 01Trib,

I have a 2002 Tribute and the inside latch of the driver side door broke on me this past fall.

Fortuantely, I work at a company that has a lot of mechanics, and one of them concocted a fix to the problem. It saved me the $350 fee the dealer wanted to charge.

Like you, I had to roll down my door and use outside latch to open door, but what we found during the fix, was using the MANUEL LOCK button on the door latch on the inside, would have opened the door though it would have been ackward.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 PM

I had the same driver's door handle problem. Cost about 250 to fix. What killed me is that there are about 6 plastic fasteners that needed to be replaced to hold the door panel together. 6 little pieces of plastic: cost? $60.00. My service centre was charged $46 by a Mazda dealer, for 6 little pieces of plastic!!![:@]

Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 PM

I lucked out compared to some of you. My driver door handle broke while still under warranty. Took days to get a new one into the shop.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:04 PM

The six retaining clips do not need to be replaced unless they were broken. The clips are a two part assembly. When removing the door trim panel 1/2 of the clip will come off with the door panel and other 1/2 will stay in the door sheet metal. Simple matter to remove the part from the door sheet metal and assemble onto the door panel before reinstalling. If trying to reinstall the door trim panel and not putting the clips together beforehand they will definitely break. Learned that the hard way first time I did one[:@].

Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM

My '01 drivers door, inside handle failed few weeks ago. I pulled the cover behind the handle and found a broken block of plastic. Looks like part of the cam that actuates the cable pull (cable was fine).

Based on zekeindc's advice , I tried to open the door by pushing the manual lock back to the left. This was easy to do with the cover off, a bit harder when I put cover back on. I think I'm going to get very good at pushing the back of the door lock button w/ my right thumb to open door. I may even trim the cover some to allow for easier actuation. :-)

I can use to $ saved to buy new rotors and pads. They last about 30k miles. Pads worn, rotors at min. :-(

This has been a great car overall, still love it.

Jmat

Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 AM

Had same issue with door handles. Driver side broke first, little plastic piecebroke off the inside handle.Inner handlecan be purchased separately from the dealer for approx $45-$50. Use Vin# as Huey indicated. I brought the inner handle to the parts counter so they could see exactly what itwasI wanted to order. I also at first rolled down my window and opened door from outside, then I wound up trading the left rear inner doorhandle with the driver handle until I bought a new one.It works fine but if youlock the door while you are inside, you have to manually unlock the door before you can open it to get out, as rear doors do not have the ability to unlock by simply pulling on the handle as front doors do.

I also love the car. It has 308,000 miles on it and still running fine, (knock wood).

Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 PM

I had this same problem with the interior door handle, the handle broke right off.

I fixed it myself though, without taking the door panel off.

I bought the inside handle from the dealership for $110 (what a rip off, its all plastic!!!) and I took apart the molding to the handle. I then took a screwdriver and pried out the old door handle thru the molding (it is only held on with clips fastened to the door). I put the new one in, the only problem I really had was getting that little wire thingy into the new handle (fake nails and all[&:]) and I snapped it back in place, screwed the handle molding on and I was done. Took about 45 minutes. Dealership wanted to charge me over $300 to fix it.

There is no need to take the entire door panel off.

Quick Reply: Broken door handles--within door