Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Amazing Tribute issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Default Amazing Tribute issue

OK folks this is a good one. On my wife's 2006 tribute the issues are:

1. Turn lights on shift interlock activates. In other words not only does the brakes activate the interlock(allows you to shift) but turning the lights on also activates the interlock.
2. Lights on cancels cruise control. No cruise control if lights are turned on.
3. When you apply the brakes, the radio light dims and the front lights come on.

This almost sounds like a joke but it is real. Any ideas thanks. Ron

Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Remove all fuses for the headlights & park lights and see what happens.

Also check all your earth's & maybe replace all your brake light bulbs ( just a thought)

Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM

sounds like an earth fault to me - also i know it sounds stupid but justmake sure that your wiring hasnt dropped down behind the dash and isnt snagged by the brake pedal arm

Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Default amazing tribute

Thanks reaper and ggsmo. As it turns out both of you are in part correct. When I started to remove the passenger rear light cover and I found the entire unit
filled with water. Apparently, there was a small crack in the cover that allowed water to enter. The brake light shorted and was blown. The other two while also submerged were ok. I dried everthing with a hair dryer replace the brake light and everything works perfectly. New light cover has been ordered. The car is staying in the garage since tomorrow we are expecting over 2 feet of snow and 70mph winds. Amazing. Thanks again for your help.