Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Sputters After Fillup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Take it off and blow through it. It could be stuck open. From the amount of rust i see in the pic i bet the rest of the system under the car is rusted worse.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by hixx
Take it off and blow through it. It could be stuck open. From the amount of rust i see in the pic i bet the rest of the system under the car is rusted worse.
That is not actually my car, it is a pic i found on google images. My car has not nearly that amount of rust on it.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Well thats good. Did you try blowing through the purge valve yet? There are a ton of components in an evap system unfortunately. It requires a complete understanding of the system to repair what you describe. Even I don't enjoy an evap emissions problem and i have been a tech since 1976.

Last edited by hixx; 11-16-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM

UPDATE: Sorry for taking forever just now got time to work on the car..

So, the car still sputters, ESPECIALLY right after refueling. I removed my EGR after the CEL came on and noticed the valve was stuck and ended up replacing it with a new EGR valve.

The car runs slightly better and I know its not the EGR now that it is new.

I also took the Purge Valve and tried to blow through it. I could NOT, I then connected 12v and a ground to the solnoid and tried to blow through it again, and I CAN. So that rules out my purge valve solenoid...

So concluding,

EGR Valve - GOOD
Purge Valve - GOOD

I am stumped again, and more idea's we can test out?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:31 PM

You haven't replaced the vent valve? Other than the PCM the rest of the evap sytem is at the gas tank. The vent valve is the most common. The vent valve gets the most abuse out of any of the evap system because as you drive you remove gas from the tank. When you remove gas from the tank you must replace it with air or the tank will implode. This is the job of the vent valve. It sucks in fresh air to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. As a result it tends to take in dust/dirt/spiders/ants/etc. The electrical portion of the vent valve gets junked up and fails. It sounds like your charcoal cannister might be getting loaded up with raw fuel on gas fills. Personally, i would replace the vent valve. You might have to replace the charcoal cannister. The charcoal cannister has 2 compartments loaded with charcoal. The chambers are spring loaded to keep the density of charcoal consistent. Fuel vapors enter one side of the cannister and have to go through the first chamber of charcoal to get to the second chamber of charcoal where it is further broke down and sucked into the intake by the piurge valve. If the car runs bad after a fillup then your cannister is getting overloaded with raw fuel and causing a rich fuel mixture. The vent valve is the likely cause but your cannister could also have a crack between the chambers which would not allow it to properly break down the fuel vapors before sending them to the intake to be burned.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 AM

You haven't replaced the vent valve? Other than the PCM the rest of the evap sytem is at the gas tank. The vent valve is the most common. The vent valve gets the most abuse out of any of the evap system because as you drive you remove gas from the tank. When you remove gas from the tank you must replace it with air or the tank will implode. This is the job of the vent valve. It sucks in fresh air to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. As a result it tends to take in dust/dirt/spiders/ants/etc. The electrical portion of the vent valve gets junked up and fails. It sounds like your charcoal cannister might be getting loaded up with raw fuel on gas fills. Personally, i would replace the vent valve. You might have to replace the charcoal cannister. The charcoal cannister has 2 compartments loaded with charcoal. The chambers are spring loaded to keep the density of charcoal consistent. Fuel vapors enter one side of the cannister and have to go through the first chamber of charcoal to get to the second chamber of charcoal where it is further broke down and sucked into the intake by the piurge valve. If the car runs bad after a fillup then your cannister is getting overloaded with raw fuel and causing a rich fuel mixture. The vent valve is the likely cause but your cannister could also have a crack between the chambers which would not allow it to properly break down the fuel vapors before sending them to the intake to be burned.

Where is the "vent valve"? I will replace that, that is different than the purge valve right?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:01 AM

They call it an evaporative gas check valve. It comes off the gas tank. One end goes into open air.

Last edited by hixx; 12-01-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM

They call it an evaporative gas check valve. It comes off the gas tank. One end goes into open air.
Well dang, haha. Oh well maybe ill just deal with it for now. My accessory belts are squealing like a pig all of a sudden so now i guess i have to replace those.

One thing after another, i just hope its just the belts and not any pulley.