Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

removing freewheel hub bolts-help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Default removing freewheel hub bolts-help!

I am in the process of removing the front axle from my '91 b2600i 4x4(so I can put a new gasket on the oil pan) and I am having serious problems trying to get the bolts on the the freewheel hub loose. The bolts are slowly getting rounded by my attempts using different methods (vice grips, wrenches etc). No luck.

I have used PB blaster, Irwin's stripped bolt attachments for the drill and still no luck(The drill does not have enough power to turn the bolt either).

I am running out of ideas...anyone got any good ones?

Thank you!

Brad

Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Default RE: removing freewheel hub bolts-help!

you need air ratchet. air gun. whatever your area might call them. Pnumatics are the answer !

Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM

sure, but I am a lowly diy and don't have access to that.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM

well then your screwed, sometimes thats the only way, sometimes thats whats required for a job. SOMETIMES you HAVE to rent something to get the job done.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Electric impact wrenches are available to buy for $75 or less. Pep Boys, Harbor Freight, etc. I've had the HF one for a decade now, was $60 then, just saw it advertised for $40.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM

oh yea, hahah I forgot about electrics. stupid me cheaper to rent then the other equipment too

Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 AM

update on situation.

I was able to borrow an impact wrench and still have not been able to get the six rfw hub bolts off.

Part of the problem is that the bolts seem to be an odd size. If they are metric they seem to be in between a 9-10mm (10 is too big, 9 is too small). In Sae, 3/8" is the only thing that comes close.

What a frustrating experience...........

Brad

Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 PM

have you tried any lubricants? I dont recommend using standard WD-40. I use this stuff called KROIL

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Its made by a laboratory and believe me, put some of this as close as you can get it to the threads and it gets inside deeper than wd 40 ever would.

Team this up with the correct fitting size (which it seems like you are having trouble with) and they should loosen.

please keep me updated on this!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:51 PM

yes, I have been using PB Blaster. I have never seen Kroil and I am assuming that it is not available in retail stores?

I wouldn't think finding the correct size would be such a huge challenge but nothing so far works.

I am really starting to hate whoever designed this thing in the first place. Removing the front axle as well other things to remove an oil pan?

I am literally stuck and I have no idea what I will do right now. I really do not want to take this in to a shop and pay a lot of money.........

Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 AM

It most likely would've originally been 10mm; but use 3/8 if it fits tight. And six-pointed socket, even if you need to pound the socket on.

Quick Reply: removing freewheel hub bolts-help!